Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Philippians 4:13 - "Legacy"

Sometimes the firsts in life bring about tears. The tears can be ones of joy like having my first birthday with Doug as my husband. He spoils me so much. I am so thankful God not only promised me a godly man but then brought our paths together. I am one blessed lady as his wife. Other firsts can bring tears of sadness with missing loved ones. Today is my first birthday without my Momma on this earth. Days like today make me sad but then God reminds me she is living life with Him and that makes me smile. Oh how I miss her and my Daddy. I so miss their phone calls and hugs when we would get together. My Momma always made us our favorite meal for our birthday. Mine was always her fried chicken. Today I am taking Marion out for lunch to a BBQ place to have chicken. It won't be the same but it will be good. My Momma also made sure we had a birthday cake. Even though she knew my favorite flavor was chocolate more than not I would end up with a white cake. Sometimes she would surprise me with a yellow Aldi cake with homemade peanut butter icing because it tastes so much like my Grandma's pound cake. When Doc was alive and we lived in Orrville, my birthday cake was always Buehler's Andes mint chocolate cake. Yesterday Doug and I had some extra time before meeting Clay and JoAnn for dinner so we stopped in at a specialty store. I forewarned him it was very expensive but I enjoyed looking around. One of the things they had were cannoli's which I love. I do not think it was a coincidence God provided one for my dessert. When we got to the restaurant, Doug told them it was my birthday so they brought it out with a candle for my dessert. Another 'God wink' in my life. This morning I opened cards from Doug and my dear friend Pam. She was a God send in Momma's last months. If I felt like Momma needed something, I knew I could call Pam. I am so grateful for her. One of Momma's last nights I received word she wasn't doing well and I called and asked Pam if she could go in to check on her. It was late in the evening so I wasn't sure if she would be able to or not. Not only did she check on her but she sat by her bedside all night. She was there when I couldn't be and for that I am grateful. When Pam walked in one of Momma's last days, Momma gave her a grocery list and told her to go buy her and Dan groceries. Momma was always thinking of others even when she knew her time on earth was drawing close to ending. When I opened Pam's card this morning, the tears fell as I read this list my Momma wrote...


What a legacy my Momma has left for all of us. She showed how to love with God's love to a great depth and to never allow the enemy to win. Her (and my Daddy) showed how to trust God and lean into His strength. They both stood upon Philippians 4:13 throughout all of the ups and downs of life. I am reminded this morning of the song "Legacy"....

Dear Jesus, Thank You for another year of life! Thank You for blessing me with Doug who loves me well! Thank You for friends who also love me well! Cleanse me so You can fill me. May my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude be Christ-like to all who see/hear me today. I pray healing over many going through 'tough' days. Physical, mental, emotional, relational, financial, and especially spiritual healing. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being close to Doug's family with the loss of his cousin! Thank You for being My Legacy! Amen.  

No comments: