Monday, August 28, 2023

Psalm 79 - "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)"


It was interesting God took me to Psalm 79 this morning to ponder upon. This Psalm is entitled Prayer In A Time of Natural Disaster in The Passion Translation. Cuba has already been hit by the storm Idalia and Florida is bracing for it to hit as a category three. By the time it gets to us it is predicted to be a category one. Over the last few weeks we have been praying for the people of Hawaii who have lost so much including lives due to wildfires. We also have been praying for those in California who had the first ever tropical storm watch from Hurricane Hilary's effects. Drought is throughout our nation. All of these are natural events. Some would ask, 'Why would God cause such things?' or 'Why would God allow such things?' I have no answer other than God is in control. He desires all people to walk in relationship with Him. When times are difficult, people turn to Him. Perhaps He uses such natural disasters to get people to realize He needs to be in control of their life. Perhaps He uses them to make His power be known. Perhaps He uses them to bring us to our knees. Sometimes He explains Himself to us but He does not have to. Sometimes He protects us in ways we are not even aware of until after the fact. Last evening we went out to Hunting Island for a couple hours to relax. We sat and watched the huge waves coming in. There were even people with surf boards out on the waves. As I listened to the crashing of the waves I thought about how life can seem so overwhelming as the waves were being. I am thankful to have the hope of Jesus in my life. When life becomes overwhelming, He wraps His arms around me and loves me through the 'tough' times. That is what makes my faith stronger and gives me more reason to trust Him. Verse nine of Psalm 79 speaks volumes to me. It reads in The Passion TranslationOur hero, come and rescue us! O God of the breakthrough, for the glory of your name, come and help us! Forgive and restore us; heal us and cover us in your love. Every time we repent of our sins with the right heart God is there to wrap His arms around us. He is there to heal the hurts of our heart and love on us in ways no one else has the capability of doing. Matthew Henry writes:

Deliverances from trouble are mercies indeed, when grounded upon the pardon of sin; we should therefore be more earnest in prayer for the removal of our sins than for the removal of afflictions. They had no hopes but from God's mercies, his tender mercies. They plead no merit, they pretend to none, but, Help us for the glory of thy name; pardon us for thy name's sake. The Christian forgets not that he is often bound in the chain of his sins. The world to him is a prison; sentence of death is passed upon him, and he knows not how soon it may be executed. How fervently should he at all times pray, O let the sighing of a prisoner come before thee, according to the greatness of thy power preserve thou those that are appointed to die! How glorious will the day be, when, triumphant over sin and sorrow, the church beholds the adversary disarmed for ever! while that church shall, from age to age, sing the praises of her great Shepherd and Bishop, her King and her God.

Yes! Woo hoo! This prayer in Psalm 79 that is entitled Prayer In A Time of Natural Disaster is a prayer for today with the natural disasters sin has on lives. It is a prayer we all need to pray as we seek cleansing from God for our sins. The result of such prayers will be what we read in verse thirteen with grateful people ready to love God. I am reminded this morning of the words to "Oceans (Where Feet May Fail)" and feeling very blessed...

And I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with Sunday School, service, and lunch with my church family! Thank You for Doug and I having a relaxful time at the beach and then seeing the beautiful sunset! Thank You for another day of life that is ahead! Cleanse me so You can fill me. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days but I especially pray for those struggling spiritually. I pray all of us will get to the end of ourselves so You can be who You desire to be in our life. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Hero! Amen. 

No comments: