Sunday, August 27, 2023

Psalm 138; John 6:35-40

I prayed for pastors before going to bed, each time I was up during the night, and again this morning. My prayers included not just pastors who will be preaching this morning but also those teaching classes, leading worship, etc. I prayed for my friend Tom who ministers to the older part of their congregation and had two recent deaths. I prayed for my friend Mike who retired from full-time ministry a couple weeks ago. I prayed for a pastor who is very discouraged in their ministry and another one who is physically struggling to do ministry. The Lord directed me to Psalm 138 to ponder upon. I read it in a couple different translations and settled in with The Passion Translation. These words of King David bless me in abundance as a believer but especially as a pastor. These verses speak of God's love for all. Verse seven speaks of the Lord empowering us through anything we go through on this earth. When we keep our faith on this earth and trust Him, we will spend eternity with Him. Woo hoo! Doug and I started watching The Chosen yesterday. As I watched the teaching and seeing the hunger in some I was reminded there are people today hungry for what God has to give. In the one episode Jesus was asked what His favorite food was and his reply was 'bread.' He is the Bread of Life as He said in John 6:35. His words spoken in verses thirty-five through forty hold great meaning. They read in The Passion Translation:

Jesus said to them, “I am the Bread of Life.  Come every day to me and you will never be hungry. Believe in me and you will never be thirsty. Yet I’ve told you that even though you’ve seen me, you still don’t believe in me. But everyone my Father has given to me, they will come. And all who come to me, I will embrace and will never turn them away. And I have come out of heaven not for my own desires, but for the satisfaction of my Father who sent me. My Father who sent me has determined that I will not lose even one of those he has given to me, and I will raise them up in the last day. For the longing of my Father is that everyone who embraces the Son and believes in him will experience eternal life and I will raise them up in the last day!”

All believers but especially pastors need to remember God is with us at all time. He is here to empower us with His wisdom, strength, and peace when we are struggling. Praise His Holy Name! Matthew Henry wrote of the following about Psalm 138. I know there are times in ministry when I need the reminder God is working in and through me even when I may not see it. Fruit will happen from the seeds planted. Sometimes we see the harvest and sometimes we do not but we can be assured it will happen. We cannot give up.

Though the Lord is high, yet he has respect to every lowly, humbled sinner; but the proud and unbelieving will be banished far from his blissful presence. Divine consolations have enough in them to revive us, even when we walk in the midst of troubles. And God will save his own people that they may be revived by the Holy Spirit, the Giver of life and holiness. If we give to God the glory of his mercy, we may take to ourselves the comfort. This confidence will not do away, but quicken prayer. Whatever good there is in us, it is God works in us both to will and to do. The Lord will perfect the salvation of every true believer, and he will never forsake those whom he has created anew in Christ Jesus unto good works.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the privilege to pray for pastors! I pray for all of us to remember the words of Psalm 138 that remind us You are working in and through us. I pray especially for Tom who had two funerals, Mike as he adjusts to retirement, a pastor struggling in ministry, and another one struggling physically. May all be encouraged by You. Thank You for The Chosen Doug and I are watching! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your empowerment over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Bread of Life! Amen. 



No comments: