Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Psalm 122 - "Jerusalem"

The Lord took me to Psalm 122 this morning. This Psalm encourages all believers to build one another up instead of allowing the enemy to tear us down. It encourages us to be unified in the church. I love what Matthew Henry writes of this Psalm: 

Blessed Spirit of peace and love, who didst dwell in the soul of the holy Jesus, descend into his church, and fill those who compose it with his heavenly tempers; cause bitter contentions to cease, and make us to be of one mind. Love of the brethren and love to God, ought to stir us up to seek to be like the Lord Jesus in fervent prayer and unwearied labour, for the salvation of men, and the Divine glory.

The church body can be filled with love and peace as we adhere to the Lord's guidance. I have heard too many stories of churches splitting and/or closing due to spats over the color of the new carpet, where to plant a tree, etc. Earthly things do not matter. Eternal things need to be what is most important in our lives. As I read this Psalm in various translations I thought  about the trip we took to the Holy Land. I was in awe of so many things. Seeing the places I have read about in the Bible my whole life, walking under the Old City where Jesus walked, etc. Psalm 122 describes David's joy in going to the Jerusalem to worship God. Do we have such joy in gathering to worship with our church family or do we see it as something we have to do? Another thing David does in Psalm 122 is not only pray himself for the church but he asks others to pray as well. Do we pray for our church and/or ask others to do so? David was loyal to God. Are we loyal to Him? This Psalm encourages me to be more intentional in praying for my church here in Beaufort, my South Carolina church family, and the global church. It encourages me to pray for peace and unity within all churches. What would our churches look like if all of us followed verse six? It reads in The Passion TranslationPray and seek for Jerusalem’s peace, for all who love her will prosper! I have the song "Jerusalem" going through my mind this morning...

Jerusalem

I want to walk your streets that are golden

And I want to run where the angels have trod

Jerusalem

I want to rest on the banks of your river

In that city, the city of God

If I want to live eternally in the New Jerusalem, I must live as God desires while on this earth. I must not just read His Word but I must adhere to it. I must strive to live as Christ. I must live in His presence so I not only hear His voice but I desire to walk in obedience to Him. Woo hoo!

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with my visit with Marion and Doug and I having Zachary, Ricklyn and Jamil over for dinner! Cleanse me so You can fill me. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray for not only the Beaufort Church of the Nazarene but the South Carolina District, and the Global Church to be unified. May all believers seek for peace not only in their own lives but in the life of the church. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult times. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Ross and Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Eternity! Amen. 

No comments: