Friday, August 11, 2023

Psalm 116 - "Gratitude"

The Lord took me to Psalm 116 this morning. David speaks of his love for the Lord in the first part of the Psalm and thanks Him in the second part. Sometimes God's love is overwhelming. I don't feel worthy of His love at times yet He often reminds me I am His daughter. Therefore, I need to allow Him to lavish His love down on me and be thankful. When I reflect back over my life, I see times I did not do as He desired yet He still loved me. I know I miss opportunities to share His love with others yet He still loves me. There are times I don't depend upon His strength as much as I should yet He still loves. me. The common theme is no matter what I do or don't do He still loves me. Woo hoo! In this Psalm David speaks of times life is overwhelming in both 'good' and 'bad' ways. He realized the need to stay focused on God no matter what was happening in life. This is something we need to not only do ourselves but teach our children and grandchildren how to do. We need to share this way of life with others so they can also live in relationship with Him. Matthew Henry wrote of this Psalm: 

We should deem ourselves bound to walk as in his presence. It is a great mercy to be kept from being swallowed up with over-much sorrow. It is a great mercy for God to hold us by the right hand, so that we are not overcome and overthrown by a temptation. But when we enter the heavenly rest, deliverance from sin and sorrow will be complete; we shall behold the glory of the Lord, and walk in his presence with delight we cannot now conceive.

Yes! When I leave this earth, I want to be received by His open arms. The way for that to happen is for me to live in His presence while on this earth. Verse seventeen of Psalm 116 is one I hold near to my heart. I will sacrifice a thank offering to you and call on the name of the Lord. We need to remember everything we have is from Him. We need to have a grateful heart at all time whether we are having 'good' or 'bad' days. The words to Brandon Lake's song "Gratitude" are on my lips this morning...

So I throw up my hands
And praise You again and again
'Cause all that I have is a
Hallelujah, hallelujah
And I know it's not much
But I've nothing else fit for a king
Except for a heart singing
Hallelujah, hallelujah

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for Ben's family having safe travels home! Thank You for my wonderful husband Doug who loves me well! Thank You for being so close in the 'good' and the 'bad' times when life is overwhelming! Cleanse me so You can fill me. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray those going through overwhelming times will remember to thank You no matter what they are experiencing. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Ross and Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Jesus! Amen. 



No comments: