Friday, August 25, 2023

James 1 - "What if I Stumble, That If I Fall"

Last night as we walked across the bridge God brought the song "What If I Stumble, What If I Fall" to my lips. I thought, 'not funny, God!' I have had too many physical falls in my life. This song isn't about the physical aspect of life but rather about the spiritual walk. I had too many of them too. Thankfully God always loved me back when I stumbled or fell away from Him. DC Talk wrote this song when they felt an enormous responsibility to all the teens looking up to them as artists. They thought about how important is was to be a good example to all who listened to them. It is not just artists who have this responsibility. All believers do. People are watching all the time to make sure believers are not just talking the talk but walking the walk. In the first chapter of the book of James we read many verses about how we need to do just that. James reinforces the concept of people watching and listening to us to see if our actions match our words. God gave us two ears and one mouth for a reason. We need to listen more than we speak. When we are speaking, we cannot hear what God has in store for us.  Verse twenty-two reads in the New International Version, Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. The Bible gives clear direction on how we are to live. We need to believe in Jesus and we need to walk in His love showering others with it. I love the word picture in the ending of this verse in The Passion Translation. It reads, So always let his Word become like poetry written and fulfilled by your life! Woo hoo! I also love verse seventeen in this first chapter of James. God wants to shower us with gifts every day and He does when we allow Him. He desires to forgive us when we repent of known and unknown sins. His love is greater than anything and for that we need to be grateful. We will stumble or fall in our spiritual walk. Thankfully, He is there to love us through such times. 

What if I stumble
What if I fall?
What if I lose my step
And I make fools of us all?
Will the love continue
When my walk becomes a crawl?
What if I stumble
And what if I fall?

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the song "What If I Stumble, What If I Fall" that reminds us of the importance of focusing on You! Thank You for James 1 that gives clear direction on living as a believer! May my walk with You never become as James writes in The Passion Translation in verse twenty-two as being shallow and empty. Thank You for Doug and I having the opportunity to walk last night to see the sunset! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray for many going through difficult days to see Your love in a powerful way. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Poet! Amen. 

No comments: