Sunday, August 20, 2023

Colossians 3:15-17 - "Heart of Worship"

Last night when falling into bed I prayed for pastors. I prayed again at 3:30AM and again this morning. When I woke this morning, the song "Heart of Worship" was on my mind.

I'm coming back to the heart of worship
And it's all about You, it's all about You, Jesus
I'm sorry, Lord, for the thing I've made it
When it's all about You, it's all about You, Jesus

One of the challenges I have on Sundays is to not focus on the things that need done but to stay focused on what God wants me to receive in the service. It is easy to get caught up in making sure the order of service flows easily and missing what the Holy Spirit wants to interject. Shame on me and shame on all pastors who allow this to happen. I have said many times a sermon was meant for me not just for others hearing it. I love sitting in a worship service as a person in the audience not the preacher. I love preaching but sometimes my cup needs filled just as much as others or perhaps even more so with being a pastor. Yesterday was a tiring day but I cannot allow it to mess up today. I need to allow the Holy Spirit to work in and through me not just in the service but in the entire day. God has something for each one who sits in a service or listens to a service on-line. He has something big for all as we allow Him to speak to us and then when we walk in obedience to His will. Woo hoo! Matt Redman wrote "Heart of Worship" after his pastor was convicted things were not right with the worship in their church. He took the sound system and band away for a period of time and asked the church a very profound question. “When you come through the doors on a Sunday, what are you bringing as your offering to God?” Everyone needs to ponder upon this question and be truthful with their answer. Our worship must be about Jesus and not about us. We must focus on what He desires of us and not look at Him as a Santa Claus in the sky giving us what we think we want or need. Redman wrote: “It’s such a biblical posture in worship that speaks of reverence. If you look through the Bible, there’s a whole host of people who faced up to the glory of God and found themselves facedown in worship. So the album weaves through a theme of reverence, wonder, and mystery in worship, things I feel we really need to grasp more of in our worship expressions. I know that I do!”

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the many miles traveled safely yesterday and all that was accomplished by Doug while I was away! What a blessing he is to me! Thank You for our time with the Reeder boys last night! I pray You will empower all pastors to not focus on the mechanics of the worship service today but rather to focus on the true reason we gather to worship. I pray Your empowerment over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab; Ross and Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; a young lady getting caught up in a cult; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Strength! Amen. 

No comments: