Tuesday, October 31, 2023

Psalm 23 - "Honey In The Rock"


As I was praying for a friend yesterday God brought Psalm 23 to my mind. This Psalm is one David wrote to comfort himself but in turn comforts us when we are going through 'tough' times. Grief can be devastating. One day you think you are 'ok' and the next you can't stop crying. The simplest things can bring freshness to your grief. Sometimes it is as simple as a food or smell. Others time it can be the anniversary date of your loved ones death or their birthday. Sometimes it is a place you visited with them or something you frequently did together. My grief over my Momma leaving this earth happens frequently when I am having a difficult time and want to talk to her. I was so used to her listening to me and 'making everything alright.' She was the voice of reason and she was the voice of compassion. Up until my Daddy died he filled that role many times. After his death she fell into it. I am grateful for both of them who taught me to seek God through prayer and reading His Word. I am grateful for the example they gave on how to love with God's love on hurting people. I also am grateful for living in God's presence where I find His peace, wisdom, and encouragement. Psalm 23 shows me...

Verse 1 - He goes before me. When I follow His voice, He will direct me down the right path.

Verse 2 - Green pastures for sheep is a place of rest, contentment, and fulfillment. As we live in His presence we will find these things.

Verse 3 - God leads us where He desires us to go. It is key for us to find rest in Him before we can do what He desires of us. 

Verse 4 - He is with us in all circumstances. He knows the hurts of our heart and encourages us through them. I am reminded of John 14:27 where Jesus said, let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. Paul wrote in Romans 8:28 about how all things work together for good to them that love God. Even when we don't understand things we go though His Word encourages us to trust Him.

Verse 5 - God provides exactly what we need in all circumstances. I am reminded of the Israelites who He provided for in the desert. He dropped manna down from heaven and produced water out of the rock. I am blessed by David's words, my cup runneth over.

Verse 6 - I was reading about how a shepherd has two dogs guarding the rear of the pack. The idea of God being the Shepherd and Jesus and the Holy Spirit being the two guard dogs is comforting to me. The more I press into the Three of them the more the words of dwelling in the house of the Lord forever will be realized.

I remember memorizing Psalm 23 as a child. I also remember hearing it many times spoken at funerals. It is one of the Scriptures I consider as being one to ground us. It encourages us when we feel like we can't continue on in life. It is the voice of reason when life doesn't make sense. I am grateful it is my manna and my honey in life. I love the song "Honey In The Rock" and for the way it encourages me to lean into the Lord in 'good times' and 'bad times.'

Praying for a miracle

 Thirsty for the Living Well

 Only You can satisfy

 Sweetness at the mercy seat

 Now I've tasted, it's not hard to see

 Only You can satisfy

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with seeing the orthopedic doctor for my back and for Doug taking care of me! Thank You for a plan of treatment to alleviate this pain! Father, be glorified through this time as I am in the waiting room for bloodwork results. Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Psalm 23 over many going through difficult days. May they be encouraged through people, Your Word, etc. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Manna and Honey! Amen.

No comments: