Sunday, October 29, 2023

Psalm 118 - "Praise You In This Storm"



The Lord woke me with Psalm 118:24. This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it. My first thought was I don't feel like rejoicing with this back pain and waiting on bloodwork results. Shame on me. After Doug prayed over me I felt like I could get up and get the day started. In my humanness I did not want to get up but I know I need to. God cannot be glorified through me if I stay in bed. Psalm 118 is one David wrote when trusting God was heavy on his mind. I love what Matthew Henry wrote of this Psalm...

God is sometimes the strength of his people, when he is not their song; they have spiritual supports, though they want spiritual delights. Whether the believer traces back his comfort to the everlasting goodness and mercy of God, or whether he looks forward to the blessing secured to him, he will find abundant cause for joy and praise. Every answer to our prayers is an evidence that the Lord is on our side; and then we need not fear what man can do unto us; we should conscientiously do our duty to all, and trust in him alone to accept and bless us. Let us seek to live to declare the works of God, and to encourage others to serve him and trust in him. Such were the triumphs of the Son of David, in the assurance that the good pleasure of the Lord should prosper in his hand.

These words bring tears to my eyes. I know God is my strength. I know He is my joy. I know He is Who I desire to glorify. I know these things yet in the physical issues of life it can be hard to live. These words speak volumes to me as I am getting this body to function today. Let us seek to live to declare the works of God, and to encourage others to serve him and trust in him. I will praise Him no matter what is ahead. I am reminded of the words to a song Casting Crowns sings called, "Praise You In This Storm"...

And I'll praise you in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For you are who you are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise you in this storm

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the day of rest yesterday! Thank You for Doug going with the Beckett Family to enjoy Hunting Island! Thank You for Psalm 118 which encourages me to trust You and for "Praise You In This Storm" that reminds me You are with me! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. Once again, I pray for all pastors in pulpits this morning to preach what You desire. May You be their strength. I pray Your strength over myself and many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being with Pastor Libby, Pastor Roland, Pastor Donna and the rest of the District Work and Witness Team as they serve in Argentina! Thank You for being My Storm Calmer! Amen.

No comments: