Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Psalm 34; Philippians 4 - "Never"

I heard the song "Never" that Tasha Layton sings multiple times yesterday. As I listened to these lyrics I thought, 'Yes God...I know this. I am thankful for this reminder.' 

Every single time I look back I see
There's never been a promise You didn't keep
You don't waste the wounds, You use them for the better
When it comes to You Your answer's always, "never"
Never forgotten
Never forsaken
Never abandoned
Not for a second
I am safe in Your hands
Always and forever
You're never not working
My heart is the proof
There's not a broken too broken for You
Will there ever come a day when You're not holding me together?
You say never

God's promises are not just empty words. So many times people promise us things that never are carried through but not God. His promises are clear and sure. This morning I am standing on many promises as I remember His words to me last week. "Rest in me." I had no idea just how powerful those words were going to be in my life. We all need to rest in Him and allow Him to work in and through us. It is in times of being in a 'waiting room' these words become needed even more than ever. Tasha wrote of the background of this song coming from the depression she was experiencing. She talks about how when we are hurting we don't need someone tearing us down further but instead need to be built up. She also talked about how when we are going through 'tough' days we need to find a "friend who has been through the fire and emerged with wisdom and humility..." Tasha was encouraged by David's writing in Psalm 34. As I read this Psalm this morning in different versions I concentrated on verse seventeen in The Passion TranslationYet when holy lovers of God cry out to him with all their hearts, the Lord will hear them and come to rescue them from all their troubles. God does not always take away the troubles of life because there are lessons to be learned. He does not always make our path easy as we go through troubles because we would have no need to lean into His strength if He did. He does not always put people in our path who encourage us but thankfully encouragers are put before us among the discouragers. The first few verses of Psalm 34 are about praising God. It is so important to praise Him through all of the 'good days' and the 'bad days' we go through. Praising God takes our focus off of ourselves and onto Him. Praising God empowers us to see how He can and will be glorified through our circumstances as we allow Him. Paul wrote in Philippians 4 of being content no matter what was happening in life. Paul had several times in his life of being in a 'waiting room' such as when he was imprisoned and waiting on God to perform a miracle. He stood on Philippians 4:13 every time. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. I will stand on this promise as I continue in my 'waiting room' for bloodwork results. When I took this picture last week on our way home from the cabin, I was in excruciating back pain. The smile on my face was in thankfulness to God for the privilege to go on the train ride the day before and then the blessing of seeing cotton fields on the way home. I was resting in Him as I waited on the back pain to lessen. Friday when I received the ultrasound results I cried. One more 'bump in the road' to get through. I am so thankful for His strength that is with me every step of the way and for those He puts before me to encourage me.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the strength I had to complete the Beaufort Tree Walk yesterday with Doug! Thank You for a good night's sleep and for the day ahead with the privilege to speak to the widow's group! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. May You give me Your words as I encourage the ladies this morning. I pray Your promise of strength from Paul's words in Philippians 4:13 over many in 'waiting rooms' in life. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Beth; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullet; Marybeth's friend; David; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Waiting Room Strength! Amen.

No comments: