Thursday, October 26, 2023

I Peter 4 & 5; Psalm 37:5 - "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow"

I don't know what it is about cotton fields that make me so happy but when I see them they put a smile on my face. Maybe it's because they are something I was never around growing up. It is kind of like the ocean. I only saw it once as a child yet I knew I loved it. Yesterday as we drove home from the cabin the cotton fields were blooming. We saw some last week that were pretty but the ones yesterday were beautiful! At one point Doug stopped for me to get out to take a couple pictures. This was one of them I took. The smile on my face represents how God's creation makes me happy. It takes away the cares of the world and allows me to bask in His presence. I am reminded of I Peter 5:7 where Peter reminds us, Pour out all your worries and stress upon him and leave them there, for he always tenderly cares for you (TPT). I also think of David's words in Psalm 37:5, Commit your way to the LORD, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass (NKJV). When life becomes overwhelming, we need to allow God to overwhelm us in a positive way. We need to allow Him to love us as He desires to do and allow His timing to happen with all things. I was reading in I Peter 4 this morning in The Passion Translation and came across verse twelve and thirteen which speak volumes to me. I've read these verses multiple times over the last few weeks from multiple translations. This morning God spoke through them. 

Beloved friends, if life gets extremely difficult, with many tests, don’t be bewildered as though something strange were overwhelming you. Instead, continue to rejoice, for you, in a measure, have shared in the sufferings of the Anointed One so that you can share in the revelation of his glory and celebrate with even greater gladness! 

Yes! I need to rejoice no matter what is happening, no matter how much physical pain I am experiencing, no matter how disappointed i am, etc. There is always something to rejoice over. I talked last night in Bible study about how everything we do and say needs to glorify God. Because we are human it does not always happen but the more we practice being Christ-like the more it will happen. Today is a new day. I do not know what all it holds but I know who does and that is all that matters. I am reminded of a hymn called "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow." I love to hear Allison Krauss sing it. The words remind me that God knows everything. He knows the timing of everything. He knows the way we will react to circumstances. He knows when we will stand in our faith and when we will cave to the enemy. I Peter 5:8-10 gives clear direction on how to not cave to the enemy. It reads in The Passion Translation

Be well balanced and always alert, because your enemy,  the devil, roams around incessantly, like a roaring lion looking for its prey to devour. Take a decisive stand against him and resist his every attack with strong, vigorous faith. For you know that your believing brothers and sisters around the world are experiencing the same kinds of troubles you endure. 

We do not have to worry about the day ahead or the tomorrows of life. Instead we need to stand firm in our faith and not allow the enemy any open door into our life. 

Many things about tomorrow
I don't seem to understand
But I know who holds tomorrow
And I know who holds my hand

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday for Doug and I and the ones in the day ahead! Thank You for Your Word that encourages me greatly to rejoice no matter what occurs! Thank You for the truth in the song "I Know Who Holds Tomorrow" and for the way You are going to encourage me to stand in my faith and not give the enemy an open door into my life! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing so people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray for many feeling overwhelmed to bask in Your presence. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friend; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being with Pastor Libby, Pastor Roland, Pastor Donna and the rest of the District Work and Witness Team as they serve in Argentina! Thank You for being My Day Holder! Amen.

No comments: