Wednesday, October 11, 2023

I Peter 4; Ephesians 4 - "When I Say Yes"

Yesterday was another beautiful day! Doug and I were blessed with a morning walk along with picking up a couple more plants afterward to put in the yard. We also were blessed with finding two pieces to make a trellis that were marked down from $80 each to $30 each. Woo hoo! God was in the blessing business yesterday with Betty and Wayne taking us out on their boat in the afternoon. Getting some church errands run in the evening made for a full day. We know the rain is coming later today so we are making the best of the sunshine while it is here. Last night as I worked on Sunday's sermon I was reminded of Peter's words in I Peter 4:10-11 where he begs us to be fully committed to fulfilling the purpose of our lives. Peter sets the stage for these verse in the ones immediately before. Verses seven through nine read in the New International Version: The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. No ones knows when the Lord will return but we need to be ready at any given moment. Living for Him on this earth will lead to us living with Him in heaven for eternity. The theme of love is written throughout the Bible as being the basis for living in God's will. The more we strive to live Christ-like the more successful we will be at living as God desires. We are not Christ so we will make mistakes. We will not 'always' do as God desires but the more we strive to do so the more it will be accomplished. I Peter 4 is one of the chapters I challenged my church to read this week. I pray they are not only reading it but pondering upon it so it will sink in. Another chapter in the challenge is Ephesians 4. As we follow Peter’s direction from I Peter 4 we will also follow Paul’s direction from Ephesians 4:1-6. As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;  one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. I desire to live a life worthy of the calling God has put on my life. I know I fall short at times but as I always say the more we strive to live Christ-like the more successful we will be. Yesterday when we saw this unique butterfly I tried many times to get its picture without success. Finally, it landed long enough for me to get it. As I read last night about living out my calling I thought about how this butterfly is one of God's creatures who blessed us in abundance with its beauty. I need to do the same with my life. I am reminded of a song Jason Gray sings called "When I Say Yes"...

Yes Lord (Yes Lord!)
Yes Lord (Yes Lord!)
I get to see so many beautiful things
When I say yes
I'll say yes Lord (Yes!)
Oh, yes Lord (Yes!)
I make room for you to do the things you do
When I say yes
So I say yes Lord (Yes Lord!)
Oh, yes Lord (Yes!)
My soul comes alive and joy abides
When I say yes
So I say yes (Yes, Lord)

Dear Jesus, Thank You for all of the blessings You poured down on Doug and I yesterday! Thank You for our afternoon boat ride with Wayne and Betty! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace and joy over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Yes! Amen. 

No comments: