Thursday, October 5, 2023

Nehemiah 8 - "Gratitude"


I woke up with Brandon Lake's song "Gratitude" on my mind...

So I throw up my hands
And praise You again and again
'Cause all that I have is a
Hallelujah, hallelujah
And I know it's not much
But I've nothing else fit for a king
Except for a heart singing
Hallelujah, hallelujah

Sometimes it is hard to feel grateful yet we need to remember God is with us on the mountaintops and in the valleys of life. Sometimes it is hard to find a blessing in a 'tough' day yet there is always something to lift our praises up to God. Sometimes our heart hurts so bad we feel like we cannot put one foot in front of the other. It is in such times we need to lean into God's strength even more than ever. I had conversations yesterday with many struggling in life. One was dealing with ongoing health issues. Another was struggling in their marriage. Another was dealing with a financial mess where their checking account was compromised. Another was dealing with their spouse having ongoing medical issues. We had a prayer request Tuesday for a three year old little girl who was life flighted with an infection. It seems like every time you turn around there is more 'tough' times for people. I woke up hurting for many and praying for God to be so real to all. How can you feel grateful in the midst of illness, death, relationship issues, etc? The only way is to stay focused on God. I am reminded of the end of Nehemiah 8:10.  "...for the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Ezra read the Book of the Law to the people. In verse six it reads, Ezra praised the Lord, the great God; and all the people lifted their hands and responded, “Amen! Amen!” Then they bowed down and worshiped the Lord with their faces to the ground. The reading of the Law encouraged them greatly. We can learn from their experience. In verse eight it reads, They read from the Book of the Law of God, making it clear and giving the meaning so that the people understood what was being read. This is what we get today when we attend Sunday School, small groups, church services, etc. God speaks to us through His Word and through other people. Matthew Henry describes this Scripture: Their strength consisted in joy in the Lord. The better we understand God's word, the more comfort we find in it; the darkness of trouble arises from the darkness of ignorance. The more we are in His Word the more we will receive from it. I am so thankful for His Word that not only encourages me but gives me what I need to encourage others. I am grateful for the way it was applicable many years ago yet is applicable today. I am grateful for the new day ahead and for all the ways God is going to use me today. I am grateful for His Word that encourages me greatly to stay focused on Him no matter what the circumstances are in life. 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for Doug getting Doc's shower project done! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray for many going through difficult days to lean into Your strength and find joy in the process. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for Beth and Bob having safe travels yesterday! Thank You for being My Joy! Amen.  

No comments: