Monday, October 9, 2023

Romans 12 - "Gratitude"


One of the chapters in this week's challenge is to read Romans 12. The first two verses are some of my favorites to remind me how to live. A living sacrifice is something I strive to live out for the Lord. Am I always successful? Of course not. I am human. Do I always do it with the right attitude? Of course not. I am human. But the more I strive to live in this manner the more I will be successful in doing so. Matthew Henry writes:

We receive from the Lord every day the fruits of his mercy. Let us render ourselves; all we are, all we have, all we can do: and after all, what return is it for such very rich receivings? It is acceptable to God: a reasonable service, which we are able and ready to give a reason for, and which we understand. Conversion and sanctification are the renewing of the mind; a change, not of the substance, but of the qualities of the soul. The progress of sanctification, dying to sin more and more, and living to righteousness more and more, is the carrying on this renewing work, till it is perfected in glory. 

I love the word picture given with the carrying on this renewing work... We need to work on being living sacrifices every day. We need to strive to please God with our whole being. Our thoughts, actions, attitude, and words. Romans 12 continues on explaining how God can (and will) use the spiritual gifts He gives us as we live for Him. One thing we must be aware of is found in verse two and that is conforming to the world. The world sees things different than God but God sees things in the best way possible. The world may not understand God's ways and at times we as believers may not understand them. But the important thing to remember is God's ways are what is best for all. Paul's words in verses nine through twenty-one are not only pertinent to our lives but must be lived out if we truly want to live in God's will. The last verse of this chapter is one we all need to adhere to. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. When the enemy comes knocking at our door, we need to be grounded in our faith so he doesn't get a foothold in our life. The enemy is sneaky and will do anything to tear up relationships. Verse eighteen is one that is sometimes hard to adhere to yet is a must if we want to live in God's will. If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. That very first word is key. 'If' means we need to do everything in our power to accomplish what God desires. When we do everything toward this and it isn't working, we need to give it to God and allow Him to take care of things. This morning I have the song "Gratitude" going through my mind and praising God for all He does for me. I praise Him for the way He soothes the hurts of my heart. I praise Him when He calms my fears. I praise Him when He encourages me through others. I praise Him for all He does in my life. Plain and simple. I praise Him. There is a new day ahead. I may have messed up on some things yesterday but God's love, mercy, and grace are showered down upon me. Woo hoo!

So I throw up my hands
And praise You again and again
'Cause all that I have is a
Hallelujah, hallelujah
And I know it's not much
But I've nothing else fit for a king
Except for a heart singing
Hallelujah, hallelujah

Dear Jesus, Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace! Thank You for all the ways You pour them down over me! Thank You for Doug who is my rock here on this earth! Thank You for Paul's writing in Romans 12 that reminds me to be a living sacrifice for You! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult times. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Praise Maker! Amen.  

No comments: