Thursday, October 12, 2023

1 Corinthians 12 - "If We Are The Body"

The Lord took me to I Corinthians 12 this morning to ponder upon. The beginning of the chapter is about spiritual gifts. The middle of the chapter is about how the church is like a body with everyone being a different part. Each part has their own function. When one part does not do their function or maybe does not do it well, the body suffers. It made me stop and think about how well am I functioning within my church? Am I using my spiritual gifts to the best of my abilities? Do I make God happy with the use of the gifts He has given me? What can I do to be a more effective body part? I spoke in last week's sermon about how we are all different and have different functions within the body. If we were all the same, God's will would not be accomplished. It would be chaotic and there would be competition among the people. In The Passion Translation verses twenty-one through twenty-six speaks about this. That section is entitled, No Competition for Importance within the Body. God made each one of us with a purpose to fulfill His will. He created us with different personalities to make life interesting. The very last verse of this chapter leads us into the next chapter which is known as the 'love' chapter. Verse thirty-one in the New International Version reads, Now eagerly desire the greater gifts. And yet I will show you the most excellent way. It has the title of, Love Is Indispensable. Paul is telling us the way to be the best body part is through loving others. Before we can love others we must love ourselves. This is a hard concept for many to grasp. God created us and He makes no mistakes. Therefore, we need to love ourselves. As we do, we will be empowered to love others well. I read verse thirty-one in various versions and love The Passion Translation. It reads, But you should all constantly boil over with passion in seeking the higher gifts. And now I will show you a superior way to live that is beyond comparison! I love the word picture given in this translation. I desire to constantly boil over with passion for God. As I do He will lead me in the way not only that He desires but the way I will be most effective in my witness. I go back to my pondering questions and wonder how well am I functioning in my church body and what can I do better? I am reminded this morning of the song "If We Are The Body"...

But if we are the body
Why aren't his arms reaching?
Why aren't his hands healing?
Why aren't his words teaching?
And if we are the body
Why aren't his feet going?
Why is his love not showing them there is a way?
There is a way

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the yard work Doug and I accomplished before the rain came, our time with Marion to celebrate her birthday, and Bible study last night! Thank You for Paul's words of I Corinthians 12 that remind me to use my spiritual gifts to be who You desire me to be in my church! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; April; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Mike's sister; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; Dan; and Ray. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; Mr. John; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Body Builder! Amen. 

No comments: