Saturday, October 23, 2021

Psalm 17 - "Promises"


I woke up this morning thinking about a friend who is struggling with life. I so wish I were able to sit and talk with her, pray with her, and give her a big ole hug. But due to being miles apart that cannot happen. I will continue to pray and talk with her. We never know when our words will encourage someone. It is so imperative to speak life into people. God took me to Psalm 17 this morning. As I read it, I remembered this picture I took of a turtle. I think it is so cool how God created the turtle with a shell for a purpose. The shell is there to protect them when they feel threatened. Sometimes we feel threatened in life by circumstances out of our control. All we have to do is lean into God and allow Him to protect us. Psalm 17:7-12 in the New King James Version is entitled "Hide Me!" It reads:

Magnify the marvels of your mercy to all who seek you.
    You are the loving Savior of all who turn aside
    to hide themselves in you.
Protect me from harm;
    keep an eye on me as you would a child
    who is reflected in the twinkling of your eye.
    Yes, hide me within the shelter of your embrace,
    under your outstretched wings.
Protect me there from all my foes.
    For there are many who surround my soul
    to completely destroy me.
10 They are pitiless, heartless—hard as nails,
    swollen with pride and filled with arrogance!
11 See how they close in on me,
    waiting for the chance to throw me to the ground.
12 They’re like lions eager to tear me apart,
    like young and fearless lions lurking in secret,
    so ferocious and cruel—ready to rip me to shreds.

Yes! God protects us in ways we sometimes don't even realize. I can't imagine how many car accidents I have been protected from. Some I knew about and others not. Just as He gave the turtle a hard shell to be protected by He gives us Himself for protection. Our relationship with Him is where our protection comes from. He sees what we need and He provides. He knows what the enemy tries to do in my life and makes me stronger to stand up against it. He knows when I hurt and feel like I am falling apart and encourages me greatly. He knows when life is 'tough' and He gives me strength. Plain and simple. He knows. Woo hoo! I think of these words to the song "Promises"...

Though the storms may come and the winds may blow
I'll remain steadfast
And let my heart learn, when You speak a word
It will come to pass

Great is Your faithfulness to me
Great is Your faithfulness to me
From the rising sun to the setting same, I will praise Your name
Great is Your faithfulness to me

Dear Jesus, Thank You for all of the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for all of the work accomplished at my Momma's and for the time being with her! Thank You for the wonderful time of celebration for Rickey's birthday with his children and grand babies! Thank You for him being in my life! Thank You for whatever lies ahead today! I pray my Momma can get out today but most importantly I pray against the pain she is experiencing. Lord, give her exactly what she needs to not just get through the day ahead but to glorify You through it. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You shine brightly through me and people see/hear You instead of me. I pray for many going through 'tough' days to realize Your encouragement. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Steve; Tony and Madeline; Joni; Melanie; Cait; Mike; Joan; Terri Hall; Sharon Sebolt; the Pottenger Family; Carrie; Simone; Savon; Serena's husband; Norma Hall; Donna; Chrissy and her cousin; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace; ones dealing with verbal attacks from 'friends' and loved ones; a teen in a volatile home situation; many with COVID; and so many others. I continue to pray for healing for: Little Ivy with leukemia; Little Jensen who needs a heart transplant; Ashley; Pastor Kevin; Sharon's niece Amy; Gay and Doug; Ed; and Frank. I continue to pray for a friend who I lost contact with to remember You are there for her. I pray for many bi-vocational pastors who are crafting their sermon today to hear You in what You want preached. Thank You for being My Faithfulness! Amen.

No comments: