Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Proverbs 7; Ephesians 6 - "Goodness of God"


The Lord took me to Proverbs 7 this morning. This Scripture warns us to stay in the Word so we are more ready for the traps of seductions the enemy puts before us. He tries to trip us up in so many ways. Sometimes he does it through people. Sometimes it is through getting us to believe lies. There are many ways he tries to get us away from God's ways. He entices us by making things look better than what we have or what we are doing. He lies to get us to believe God does not care about us. The way to combat his antics is by living in God's presence and walking in obedience to His will. Proverbs 7 is one that warns us to stay strong in the Lord so we can stand up to the temptations thrown our way. In this particular Scripture the example used is that of a woman seducing a man. But the enemy uses all kinds of things to try to lure us from God. Matthew Henry writes:

We ought daily to pray that we may be kept from running into temptation, else we invite the enemies of our souls to spread snares for us. Ever avoid the neighbourhood of vice. Beware of sins which are said to be pleasant sins. They are the more dangerous, because they most easily gain the heart, and close it against repentance. Do nothing till thou hast well considered the end of it. Were a man to live as long as Methuselah, and to spend all his days in the highest delights sin can offer, one hour of the anguish and tribulation that must follow, would far outweigh them.

We are tempted every day in one way or another. The enemy grasps onto our weaknesses and goes to work. When we know the Word and living in God's will, our spiritual body is strong against such attacks. Once again I think of the full armor of God in Ephesians 6. The breastplate of righteousness, the sword of the Spirit, the belt of truth, the shoes of peace, the helmet of salvation, and most of all prayer. When we are 'dressed' in these, we are strong in the Lord. We need to pray as the Lord's Prayer directs us asking God to protect us from satan and his tactics of temptation. God is greater than anything thrown before us AND God is there to be our strength. If we fall into temptation, He is there to forgive us and give us another chance at living in His will. Woo hoo! I am reminded this morning of the song "Goodness of God"...

I love You, Lord
Oh Your mercy never fails me
All my days, I've been held in Your hands
From the moment that I wake up
Until I lay my head
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

Cause all my life You have been faithful
And all my life You have been so, so good
With every breath that I am able
Oh, I will sing of the goodness of God

Dear Jesus, Thank You for this Scripture and song that remind me Your love is greater than anything the enemy throws my way! Thank You for giving me the desire to walk in obedience to Your will! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people hear/see You instead of me. I pray for opportunities to love with Your love in the day ahead. I don't know what You have in store for my day but I don't have to know. All I have to do is walk in obedience to what You put before me. I pray for more people to realize this type of life in You. I pray for more people to dig deeper in their faith. Thank You for the rest You provided yesterday and the great time of fellowship and all that was accomplished at board meeting! Thank You for the laughter You provided through Rickey and his friends over the phone! The old saying, 'laughter is the best medicine' sure is true. Thank You for being with my Momma in the day ahead as it will be a stressful one for her! Thank You for being with many going through 'tough' days! Some are battling physically, some financially, some emotionally...I especially pray for those battling in their spiritual lives. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Colleen with her high BP; Steve; Tony and Madelene; Joni; Melanie; Cait; Mike; Joan; Terri Hall; Sharon Sebolt; the Pottenger Family; Carrie; Serena's husband; Norma Hall; Chrissy and her cousin; some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace; ones dealing with verbal attacks from 'friends' and loved ones; a teen in a volatile home situation; many with COVID; and so many others. I continue to pray for healing for: Little Ivy with leukemia; Little Jensen who needs a heart transplant; Ashley; Pastor Kevin; Sharon's niece Amy; Gay and Doug; Ed; and Frank. I pray for Jennifer Brake and her family with the death of her grandmotherThank You for being My Goodness! Amen.

No comments: