Friday, October 8, 2021

Jeremiah 17 - "I Shall Not Be Moved"


God is so, so good! He provides us with exactly what we need as He loves on us. Yesterday was a day where I was so blessed throughout the day. Conversations with friends, picking up Eli and Jimmy after school, enjoying Perk's dogs, receiving encouragement from Rickey, and ending the day chatting with 'one of my boys from Willard' was the icing on the cake for the day. When I have a 'down' day, it helps to have such memories to think about. When Eli and I went over to a marsh area, I saw this old tree. I thought about how many storms it has been through and yet it is still standing. It represents who I want to be. I want to lean into God's strength throughout the storms of life. I desire to grow strong in my faith just as this tree grew in statute. The branches reaching out in all different directions represent how I desire to reach out and love with His love. The beauty of this tree represents how I desire for Christ to see me. I want to be beautiful in His eyes. Some people would see this tree and see an old tree but I look at this tree and see a strong tree with history. That is what I desire when people see me. I am excited to preach the sermon this week. We all have experiences in life. We have the choice to use them to glorify God or not. Our experiences can help others going through the same thing when we allow God to use them. God sent Jeremiah to love on people so they would turn back to Him. Jeremiah used the word picture of the tree by the water to represent how when we trust God we can be strong and flourish in life. In verses five and six of chapter seventeen he contrasts a strong tree with one in a desert. A life without God will lead to eternal death. I life with Him leads to eternal life. Woo hoo! I desire to have eternal life with Him. I desire to keep my 'root system' well watered. I desire to be who He has called me to be. The tree in this picture has provided a lot over the years to children who have climbed it, people who have taken pictures of it, ones who have received shade under it, etc. It has provided exactly what it was suppose to provide. I need to do the same. I need to provide what God desires of me to provide. I love this old song I used to sing as a little girl and I especially loved finding it by Johnny Cash this morning. My Momma use to play his records when I was growing up and it brings back fond memories. 
Glory hallelujah, I shall not be moved
Anchored in Jehovah, I shall not be moved 
Just like the tree that's planted by the waters
I shall not be moved

In His love abiding, I shall not be moved
And in Him confiding, I shall not be moved
Just like the tree that's planted by the water
I shall not be moved
I don't think I have seen as big of trees before moving to South Carolina. I remember seeing pictures of such trees and wondering how they could ever get so big. I love the word pictures God gives me about their strength and how He applies it to my life.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for all of the ways You provided for me yesterday! The time with picking up Eli and Jimmy after school, looking for the gator at Crystal Lake, having DQ, and then going to their house for 'activities' AKA Sunday School was awesome. Thank You for things going well with the dogs and for Mishka warming up to me! Thank You for the sleep You provided last night in the midst of different circumstances! Thank You for the laughter You provided with phone conversations with Rickey and his buddies! Thank You for his encouragement when I am feeling anxious! Lord, cleanse me so You can use me today to be who You have called me to be. May You flow from my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts in a mighty way. I pray for so many going through 'tough' days to feel Your empowerment. I pray for Josh Gerber's mother who is having heart surgery today to receive Your healing. I pray comfort for Shelley's family along with the Edwards and Garrison families with their loss. I pray for Wanda Brown's granddaughter for healing in her little body. I pray the same for Little Ivy and Little Jensen. I pray for my Momma to have clarity with an appointment today. I pray Your strength over many going through 'tough' days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother; Ben and Colleen; Tony and Madeline; Steve; Lisa; Melanie; Joan; Terri Hall; Sharon Sebolt; Courtney Pottenger Family; Ms Savon; Norma Hall; Kayla; many with COVID: some young ladies with anxiety; a man in rehab for anger issues; a friend who needs protection in a hostile workplace; ones dealing with verbal attacks from 'friends' and loved ones; a teen in a volatile home situation; and so many others. I pray for those going through or recuperating from procedures/ treatments to receive healing. Ashley, Pastor Kevin, Sharon's niece Amy, Gay and Doug, Ed, and Frank. Thank You for answering my unspoken request! Thank You for my conversation with 'one of my Willard boys' late last night! I continue to pray for his spiritual walk to get back on track. I pray special blessings over my SC friends who are having Homecoming and my NCO friends who are having pastor and spouse retreat this weekend. Thank You for all the ways You bless me! I don't know what lies ahead today but I know You do and that is all that matters. May You be my Healer with the tingling in my head. Thank You for being My Root System! Amen.

No comments: