Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Exodus 20:8-11 - "Breathe"


One thing that I have been pondering from my Pentateuch class is about the Sabbath. We are given this as one of the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20. God told Moses in Leviticus 23, "Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. you shall do no work on it; it is the Sabbath of the Lord in all your dwellings" (NKJV). I realize there are many people who do not believe the Bible and there are many who do not believe we are to follow the Old Testament. But what about the believers who do believe in the Bible? Are they picking and choosing what they desire to follow since they obviously do not follow this commandment? How does one follow it in this busy world? How can one take a day out of the week to have a Sabbath when they have to work seven days a week? I am struggling with this since Doc is working a part-time job Monday through Friday along with his church responsibilities. Saturdays are usually a very busy day in the life of the church and Sunday is church. That does not leave a day to set aside as our Sabbath. I miss our Fridays when we would have as his day off. I miss not having that day where church was not discussed and we focused on the Lord and our relationship. This is just another one of the things I do not understand from this move. I keep asking the Lord to reveal to me what we are to be doing to further His Kingdom here. He has told me some things and I have followed. Last week after having some more things Doc was unable to do the Lord told me to "quit grumbling" and to "see these things as opportunities of ministry." I will admit Saturday went better than I expected as I prayed to follow God's words. I know the more I do in His will, the more I will be blessed with the right attitude in my spirit. When I went to my ministry assessment last spring, one of the suggestions on the coming year was for Doc and I to find time to get away from the stresses of ministry. He said even if it can't be a day we needed to take time. I have been thinking about that a lot recently. The Lord brought to me the number seven. Scripture commands us to take one day a week as a day to rest and worship. One day out of seven days. Seven is the perfect number. Maybe we can carve a seven hour period out of the week to have a Sabbath. It would at least be a start. This is definitely something to pray about.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your Word that directs us. Thank You for the way You use it to open our eyes to the desires of Your heart. Father, would You bless my husband today with better health? Would You come down upon him and heal his body? I also pray blessings over our marriage. I pray for an enriching empowerment over us as individuals and as a couple. I pray for Your guidance on how to have a time of Sabbath. Father, we are Your willing servants. We desire to do what You desire of us. Be our words, actions and attitude throughout this day. Give us opportunities to bless You as we bless others. Thank You Jesus for being Our Heavenly Father. Amen.

No comments: