Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Deuteronomy 6 - "With All My Heart"



The first nine verses of Deuteronomy 6 are full of richness on the importance of living in fear of God. This chapter begins with Moses specifying “the commands, decrees and laws the Lord your God directed me to teach…” Per Matthew Henry, “the ‘commandments’ seem to denote the moral law, the ‘statues’ the ceremonial law, and the ‘judgements’ the law by which the judges decided.”  Henry continues “The fear of God in the heart will be the most powerful principle of obedience.” The way to accomplish this is by loving Him with our whole being (verse 5). This means not just in words but by our actions too. Verses six through nine show us how to accomplish holiness. We must mediate on His Word. We also must teach our children and have His Word on our lips and in our heart at all time. When we live in such a way, we are living a life of holiness. Verse eighteen of this chapter reads:

18 Do what is right and good in the Lord’s sight, so that it may go well with you and you may go in and take over the good land the Lord promised on oath to your ancestors, 19 thrusting out all your enemies before you, as the Lord said.

This verse is one that many will read and question. Some read it to mean when you do as you should life will not have any issues. That is not the case. We must remember James 1:2-3 where we are told to be joyful in trials because that is where perseverance is found. We know the Lord takes us deeper as we go through things on this earth. Verse nineteen shows us He will enable us to stand against our enemies. Many times the enemy is in the middle of our trials. He finds a way to get in and plays havoc. It is only through a deep love for the Lord and our obedience that His strength will enable us to stand against the enemy. The shoes of peace from Ephesians 6 are what we need to have on every day. The enemy does not like peace nor does he have peace. The Lord is the One who knows peace and enables us to experience it even in the midst of a storm.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You wrapped me in Your love yesterday as I dealt with the pain. Thank You for lesser pain and for Doc's count being lower today. Thank You for providing everything we need. Father, as I read Deuteronomy 6 again this morning I stopped and pondered on verse seven with children. We are in contact with so many who do not have You talked about in their home. I pray for continued opening of doors into these lives. I pray our words will make a difference for them. I think of the ones who have moved away and pray they have someone in their lives to continue what we started. I pray for all of 'our' children to know we love them because we love You so greatly. May they follow by our example. Lord, over the last few days there have been so many people hurting because of the death of loved ones. I pray for Your comfort and peace for them. I also pray for my dear friend Deb who is hospitalized. I pray for a healing in her body. Encourage her to be Jesus to her caretakers. Once again I pray for retention for my exam. I pray for this pain to not be a distraction as I study. Fill me to overflowing with You so anyone I come in contact with will see/hear You. Thank You Jesus for being My One and Only. Amen.

No comments: