Saturday, May 1, 2021

Psalm 145:17-21 - "Even Then"

Special days such as birthdays make you miss a loved one who has gone on to heaven even more than what you usually do. Today is my brother's Gene's birthday. Just as with my Daddy, Doc, and Gene's wife Bobbi I would never wish them back to the suffering they had on this earth. There is comfort in knowing I will see them all again when I go to be with the Lord but the hurt is still real today. I will be intentional in thinking about the 'good' times I have of being with Gene. Drag racing on Back Massillon Road in his candy red GTO was so much fun. I am sure my Momma would have had a heart attack if she would have known what he did with me. Of course, I was a pushover to be quiet about it as he bribed me with an ice cream cone. I always had fun with my 'Genie' and I also felt loved by him. He sent me a cuckoo clock when he was in the Army in Germany and wrote letters regularly. What a blessing when Steve found the senior picture Gene had given me and gave it to me when he passed. Evidently, when my Momma was going through pictures she gave it to him. What a treasure to have! What a treasure Gene was to have for a 'big' brother! God truly blessed me through him. Even though we were not always in the same area we were connected in our hearts. That is so important to remember. I was talking with the lady who trimmed my hair yesterday about being miles apart from my family. She was born and raised here. All of her family live within a few miles of one another. She could not comprehend being miles apart from family. It is hard especially with my Momma having surgery this week. It is hard to not be at birthday celebrations. But God continues to give me what I need to not just get through such times but to glorify Him through them. I am reminded once again of Psalm 145:17-21 this morning. It reads in the New International Version:

The Lord is righteous in all his ways
    and faithful in all he does.
The Lord is near to all who call on him,
    to all who call on him in truth.
He fulfills the desires of those who fear him;
    he hears their cry and saves them.
The Lord watches over all who love him,
    but all the wicked he will destroy.

My mouth will speak in praise of the Lord. 

Let every creature praise his holy name for ever and ever.

I am so grateful for these words. God is faithful. He is always there for us. He gives us the desires of our hearts. He saves us from the enemy and loves on us greatly. These reasons are why I praise Him every day of my life. His love is great enough to praise Him no matter what happens in life. I am so thankful for where He has me in my spiritual walk. I am grateful I not only hear Him but have the desire in my heart to walk in obedience to Him.

Even when it feels like my world is shaken
Even when I've had all that I can take
I know
You never let me go
And even when the waters won't stop rising
Even when I'm caught in the dead of a night
I know
No matter how it ends
You're with me even then

Dear Jesus, Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace! Thank You for comfort today for my family as we miss Gene so much! Thank You for his last Christmas where Ben called me so I could be a part of the family Christmas even though there were seven hundred miles separating us! Thank You for the picture Steve gave me after Gene passed! Lord, You bless me in abundance! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. I pray You will be glorified through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. I pray continued prayers for so many going through 'tough' days. Little Ivy's family; Pastor Karen's family; my Momma; my sister Linda; Steve; a friend who lost their job; and many others. I pray for safe travels for Ross and Mary today as they travel to Beaufort. Thank You for Rickey being in my life! Thank You for the servant hearts of Cait, Alex, and the kids! Thank You for Jeff and Leslie who are mowing at the church today! Once again, I have to say I am one blessed lady! Woo hoo! Thank You for being The One To Bless Me! Amen.

No comments: