Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Hebrews 2 - "Evidence"


The Lord directed me to Hebrews 2 this morning. It begins with talking about how we must stay steadfast in God's teaching. Matthew Henry wrote of the first few verses:

Christ being proved to be superior to the angels, this doctrine is applied. Our minds and memories are like a leaky vessel, they do not, without much care, retain what is poured into them. This proceeds from the corruption of our nature, temptations, worldly cares, and pleasures. Sinning against the gospel is neglect of this great salvation; it is a contempt of the saving grace of God in Christ, making light of it, not caring for it, not regarding either the worth of gospel grace, or the want of it, and our undone state without it. The Lord's judgments under the gospel dispensation are chiefly spiritual, but are on that account the more to be dreaded. Here is an appeal to the consciences of sinners. Even partial neglects will not escape rebukes; they often bring darkness on the souls they do not finally ruin. The setting forth the gospel was continued and confirmed by those who heard Christ, by the evangelists and apostles, who were witnesses of what Jesus Christ began both to do and to teach; and by the gifts of the Holy Ghost, qualified for the work to which they were called. And all this according to God's own will. It was the will of God that we should have sure ground for our faith, and a strong foundation for our hope in receiving the gospel. Let us mind this one thing needful, and attend to the Holy Scriptures, written by those who heard the words of our gracious Lord, and were inspired by his Spirit; then we shall be blessed with the good part that cannot be taken away.

These are words to not only ponder upon but to take to heart. When we desire to spend eternity with the Lord, we must live on this earth for Him. We need to be on our guard against the antics of the enemy. He desires to tear us down. God desires to build us up. We must not allow people, circumstances, etc. to pull us away from the Gospel. People's words, actions, and attitudes will hurt us but we cannot allow that hurt to give the enemy an open door. The Gospel is the same today as it was when Jesus walked this earth. It does not change. The word picture of my mind being a leaky vessel is not a pretty one. I desire to have God in my mind all the time. I desire to please Him at all time. I know that is not always possible and am grateful for His love, mercy, and grace. I am grateful I desire to live in the will of God. I am grateful He directs me, answers me, and gives me exactly what I need when I need it. I am grateful my God is not the God of chaos and confusion but is the God of peace. Plain and simple, I am grateful. Woo hoo! My faith is grounded in Him and I strive daily to grow that faith as He walks with me daily to take me deeper. I am so blessed to live with Him as my Foundation. He blesses me every day and for that I am grateful. He brought the song "Evidence" to me this morning. What a great reminder!

I see the evidence of Your goodness All over my life All over my life I see Your promises in fulfillment All over my life All over my life Help me remember when I’m weak Fear may come but fear will leave You lead my heart to victory You are my strength and You always will be

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for Your love, mercy, and grace! Thank You for giving me the desire of my heart to be grounded in You! Thank You for opening doors that need opened and closing those that need closed! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You! May You shine brightly through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a mighty way! Lord,You had me praying throughout the night for so many. I continue to pray for: my Momma who is having surgery this afternoon; Jack and Paula with his surgery yesterday; nine month old Jackson who is on life support; Little Ivy who is going through testing today and tomorrow; my sister Linda as she continues to recuperate; Little Richie; Carletta; Pastor Karen and Floretta's families with their losses; and many others going through 'tough' days. I praise You for Chris mowing and trimming my yard yesterday and for Gary being released from the hospital after being in ICU with COVID. Lord, I pray for more of You and less of me. I pray for my mind to not be a leaky vessel but instead to be steadfast in Your Word. Thank You Jesus for being My Foundation! Amen.

No comments: