Thursday, May 31, 2018

Psalm 66 - "Hills and Valleys"


The Barnett and Adams families were the first ones to come to my thoughts and prayers when I awoke at 2am. My heart breaks for these two families. No parent should have to bury their child or have to see them go through taking chemo for leukemia. It is days like what they are going through where it is natural to ask God 'why?' I am sure there are doubts going through their minds about themselves as parents. Is there something they could have done differently? Is there something they should have not done? Why would God cause such suffering on their child? These are just a few of the questions that have probably gone through their minds. Even though I was only a child myself when my sister was murdered I remember questioning God if I had done something wrong that brought such grief upon my family. It is a natural thing as a human being to have such thoughts. It is through these times we must draw dearer to God and allow Him to be our strength. We must allow Him to be the soothing balm on our open wounds. His empowerment can be ours when we allow it. His peace can be ours when we accept it. 

The Lord had me read Psalm 66 this morning. David wrote this Psalm of praise to God for what He did in David's life. I thought I must have heard wrong and asked God if this is what He wanted me to read. He assured me it was. I asked Him how a Psalm of praise was applicable to these who are hurting so greatly. He told me to focus on verses eight through twelve and then on verses sixteen through twenty. The first section speaks of how God  gets us through tough days on this earth so we can have eternal life. The latter section speaks of what happens when we cry out to the Lord. He does not leave us but instead is "loyal in his love" (MSG). This is after He has seen us through tough days such as is described in verses ten through twelve in the New King James Version...

10 For You, O God, have tested us;
You have refined us as silver is refined.
11 You brought us into the net;
You laid affliction on our backs.
12 You have caused men to ride over our heads;
We went through fire and through water;
But You brought us out to rich fulfillment.

Yes! He is with us through the tough days of life. He is with us through days of thinking we can't do it. He is with us when we get out of bed in the morning and have to convince ourselves to just put one foot in front of the other. Plain and simple. He is with us. There will come a day when the pain will lessen through our grief. There will be a day when the hurt will no longer go as deep as we watch our child suffer. There will be a day when we will realize the Lord heard and continues to hear our cries.

Dear Jesus,
I will admit I did not understand how a Psalm of praise was applicable to the Barnett and Adams families but I see now that this is a Psalm of encouragement for all to 'keep on, keepin' on' with You even through tough days. Thank You Jesus for the words of encouragement from this Psalm. Lord, once again I pray You are their soothing balm. I pray for Your strength and empowerment to be what people going through tough days experience. Lord, I especially pray the enemy out of situations where he thinks he has a foothold. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me today in a different, new way. May You be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. May people see/hear You instead of me. I pray for wisdom with my school work today and thank You for what You accomplished through me yesterday with it. Father, continue to pave the way for the direction You desire of me. Thank You for being My Fulfillment. Amen.

No comments: