Saturday, May 19, 2018

Psalm 58 - "Surrounded (Fight My Battles)"

Last night as I was praying before going to bed the Lord impressed upon me to read Psalm 58. I asked him to help me remember it to read in the morning if it was OK to wait as I was so sleepy. I told Him if I needed to read it right then to not allow me to go to sleep. I immediately fell asleep and was blessed this morning to remember what I was to read. As I read this Psalm, I thought of all the deaths our world saw yesterday with another school shooting and the plane crash in Cuba. The shooting was indeed senseless. I am sure there is great debate going on right now over what the lawmakers need to do with gun control. I also imagine there is some discussion on who is to blame for the plane crash. Just a few weeks ago a military plane crashed not far from us with several killed. There was discussion then about the safety of the plane and whose 'fault' the crash was. I have to wonder how these situations could have been changed. Could we be on our knees in prayer more? Could these situations have been avoided? What, if anything, could have been done to not have these situations happen? This morning there are parents waking up for the first time without their children on this earth. There are also children waking up for their first time without their parents on this earth. How much of their hurt is caused by the enemy? In Psalm 58 David prayed against the enemies of God and His church. Over the last couple of years we have experienced many challenges in our ministry. Some we know have been God stopping us from our plans to make sure things were accomplished in His time. Others have truly been attacks by the enemy to destroy the Beaufort Church of the Nazarene and us personally. It is interesting to see what Matthew Henry says about Psalm 58:

David prayed that the enemies of God's church and people might be disabled to do further mischief. We may, in faith, pray against the designs of the enemies of the church. He foretells their ruin. And who knows the power of God's anger? The victories of the Just One, in his own person and that of his servants, over the enemies of man's salvation, produce a joy which springs not from revenge, but from a view of the Divine mercy, justice, and truth, shown in the redemption of the elect, the punishment of the ungodly, and the fulfilment of the promises. Whoever duly considers these things, will diligently seek the reward of righteousness, and adore the Providence which orders all thing aright in heaven and in earth.

I am not sure I like the tone of Psalm 58 but I agree with Henry in that we must pray against the enemy. We also need to pray for people who are caught up in his ways. We must pray for God's timing in our situations and allow Him to work in and through us. I need to continue to pray for those who are doing the work of the evil one to have their eyes opened to God's ways. I don't want to see anyone rot in hell. I need to remember God is the Ultimate Judge. He is the Only One that should be judging others. I do not have to like the sin they do for the evil one but I do have to love people with His love. I also need to remember the last words of this Psalm...


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the words of Psalm 58 that remind me to pray for my enemies and they will answer to You. Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day. Thank You for peace in the midst of trials. Thank You for providing tires yesterday at a decent price. Thank You for giving answers to questions in prayer. Father, cleanse me so You can fill me so people will hear/see You instead of me today in my words, actions, and attitude. I pray for strength as I deal with shortened sleep time. I pray for the parents waking up today who had their children shot and killed in the school shooting yesterday to have Your strength in the days ahead. I pray for the children waking up today whose parents were killed on the plane crash to have people around them who will love on them with Your love. I pray for the school administration and the District Church of the Nazarene as they go through these tough days. Lord, I also pray against the enemy having his way in our ministry. These 'sucker punches' seem to keep coming yet we continue to stand in Your strength. Thank You Jesus for being Our Judge. Amen.

No comments: