Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Psalm 29 - "I Will Be"

This morning the Lord took me to Psalm 29. I read it in various versions and was blessed in abundance by my reading. David wrote this Psalm as a reminder of how we are to live. We need to repent of our sins, have faith in our Heavenly Father, and love with His love. We are to live a life of holiness which is only possible after we repent and take the step of living a life of obedience. As we live a life of holiness such a life worships Him daily. Matthew Henry writes of this Psalm:

When we come before him as the Redeemer of sinners, in repentance faith, and love, he will accept our defective services, pardon the sin that cleaves to them, and approve of that measure of holiness which the Holy Spirit enables us to exercise. We have here the nature of religious worship; it is giving to the Lord the glory due to his name. We must be holy in all our religious services, devoted to God, and to his will and glory. There is a beauty in holiness, and that puts beauty upon all acts of worship. 

Amen! I love the word picture David gives in this Psalm and I also love the picture Henry gives when he says "There is a beauty in holiness, and that puts beauty upon all acts of worship." Woo hoo! As we worship Him, we bless Him. I strive to be a '24/7' worshipper. That means I strive to bless Him 24/7. He has done and continues to be everything I need and desire. Therefore, He deserves my worship. 

Psalm 29 speaks of the power He has over nature. God also shows His power through me. Henry continues to write, "But the effects of the Divine word upon the souls of men, under the power of the Holy Spirit, are far greater than those of thunder storms in the nature world." Wow! "...the effects of the Divine word..." That makes me want to be in His word more. It makes me want to go deeper into my study of His word. The more I am a sponge to His word, the more empowerment I will receive. Woo hoo! His voice is nothing I need fear but rather is something that is soothing to my soul. His voice empowers me to be the daughter He desires me to be. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders of Psalm 29. You knew I needed the encouragement founded in these words and I praise You for that. I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so I can have more of You in me today. I pray You will be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. I pray for empowerment over the enemy today. Lord, be greater than anything that comes my way. Go before me and pave the way for me to be Your servant in a new way. You know the things before me, some I know about while others I do not. Thank You for pointing me in the right direction as I deal with these things. Lord, I continue to pray for the Barnett family and Julia's friends as they have calling hours today. I pray for You to be so real to all of them, Your strength to be their strength, Your wisdom to be with the parents of friends who are being asked tough questions, and Your peace to be in this situation. May this situation bring people closer in relationship with You. May those involved stand on Psalm 29:11..."The Lord gives strength to His people; the Lord blesses His people with peace." Thank You Jesus for being My Empowerment. Amen.

No comments: