Saturday, May 12, 2018

Psalm 69 - "Praise You In The Storm"


Psalm 69 is one David wrote when he was very distressed and overwhelmed with life. He felt like he was drowning and cried out to the Lord to save him. In Psalm 40 David rejoiced with being set upon a rock yet here it is the opposite. Verse two reads, "I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me" (KJV). In Matthew 26:37 we read where Jesus was sorrowful and distressed before He went to the cross. I'm sure He felt the same as David proclaimed. Spurgeon described different kinds of deep mire the believer may experience.
· "The deep mire of unbelief
· The deep mire of trial and difficulty
· The deep mire of inward corruption
· The deep mire of the devil’s temptation and oppression"
There are many reasons for being in 'deep mire' and all can pull one into the pits of hell. One must be careful to lean upon Jesus' strength when being attacked so as not to let the enemy have any open door. In verse four of Psalm 69 David describes the problems he was experiencing with his enemies. Jesus referred to this verse as He spoke to His disciples the night before His crucifixion. "but this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, 'They hated Me without a cause.'" (John 15:25) Jesus was hated without reason. David was also hated without reason. Believers today are hated without reason. People hate others without just cause. They hate others because of their faith in God. Sometimes such hate is destructive. It can tear families apart. Living with such adversary is hard to deal with. David describes such a life in verses five through twelve. We can think of the ridicule Jesus took from the High Priest as He was on the cross and see such hatred. Verses thirteen through fifteen show David's appeal for God to rescue him from such people. It is followed by him asking for the deliverance to come quickly in verses sixteen through eighteen. In verse twenty-one David says he was given vinegar to drink. This is what was given to Jesus when He was on the cross. David did the opposite of Jesus as he asked Him to punish his enemies. When Jesus was on the cross, He asked His Father to not hold their sins against His enemies. David ends the Psalm praising God for all He does for His people. David's example is how we need to get through the tough times of life. We need to praise God through them. Praising God is something the enemy does not like. Therefore, it is even more important to do!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the reminders from Psalm 69 this morning. Thank You for being my strength in times where it seems like I am drowning. Father, I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. Be my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. Keep my focus on You so I do not miss any opportunities You put before me. I pray for a physical strength as I deal with this weather today. Give me wisdom. Lord, I also pray blessings over Grammy as she celebrates her 95th birthday today! Thank You Jesus for being The One I Praise. Amen.

No comments: