Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Philippians 4:13 - "Blessings"


Days like today..my brother's birthday...can be so hard yet so healing. I am choosing to remember...

  • the 'good' times instead of his last weeks with the cancer
  • the days of him sitting me in the passenger seat of his GTO, telling me 'don't talk and do not tell Mom and I will get you an ice cream cone' and taking me drag racing on Back Massillon Road 
  • the cuckoo clock he sent me from Germany when I was a little girl
  • his words when we found out I had breast cancer...'just do what the doctors tell you to do'
  • his words when my Daddy died...'it'll be alright'
Gene was not one for too much emotion to be shown but yet it was ok when I showed it. I was so grateful for the day he asked Jesus back into his life. I also was grateful for the way he checked in on my Momma after Bobbi and Daddy had left this earth. He was always there, no matter what. He was always just a phone call away. Oh how I wish I could call him today but I am grateful he is out of the misery of cancer. I am grateful he will spend eternity with Jesus. I was so pleasantly surprised when Steve gave me this picture at his memorial service. Evidently, it was left at my Momma's when I left home and it ended up back with Gene. Now it is where it was meant to be fifty-one years ago. I keep it on my bedside table to keep his memory alive. Memories are healing. They are what get us through tough days. Yesterday I was missing my Daddy so bad so I made a bowl of his famous potato salad. One can grieve in positive ways when they know their loved one is with the Lord. I have other family members on this earth that have yet to come into relationship with Him. It hurts my heart with this knowledge and I continue to pray for them. I pray for someone to do or say something that will make a difference in their lives.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the memories You give on tough days as I miss my loved ones who have left this earth. Thank You for the way You encourage me. Thank You for the love You shower upon me as I sift through the memories. Father, I pray for an anointing upon my spirit today as You cleanse me. May You be my words, actions, and attitude. May You be greater than me so people will see/hear You instead of me. Father, be with my Momma, Steve, and our family today. I pray they will think of the 'good' times in their grieving. Thank You for the time we had with Gene and for bringing him back into relationship with You. Thank You Jesus for being Our Strength. Amen.

No comments: