Monday, May 28, 2018

II Timothy 1:6-7 - "Your Love Defends Me"

I woke up early this morning to these words to a song Matt Maher sings called "Your Love Defends Me"...

Surely my God is the strength of my soul
Your love defends me, Your love defends me
And when I feel like I'm all alone
Your love defends me, Your love defends me

Yes! He is "the strength of my soul" every day. He gives me breath that allows me to know He is "my joy...my song...the well, the One I'm drawing from...my refuge...my whole life long..." There is no better place to be than to live in the center of God's will. In my reading for school last night I read one article that said there is no way a preacher can go into the pulpit and be the most effective preaching God's Word if they are not in the center of God's will. It made me think of ones I have heard who have no passion in their messages. It is rather sad to think God calls people yet the enemy pulls them away from their call. It is not only with preachers but with many believers. When people first come into relationship with the Lord, they have a fire in their soul. As time goes on, life happens and the fire becomes less and less. Yesterday's sermon was about how we need to keep fanning the flame so we will stay on fire for the Lord. II Timothy 1:6-7 reads:


These words of Paul to Timothy were given because Paul could see Timothy's 'flame' was not as bright as it once was. These words are applicable to all believers. God desires all to be on fire for Him. The desire of His heart should be the desire of our heart. He is with us through the battles we go through to not only supply what we need but to be glorified through them. I think we sometimes forget "The war is already won..." There is nothing greater than God. There is no pain in our physical or emotional body greater than God. He is more powerful than the 'junk' that comes our way. Most importantly to remember is that we are empowered by His Holy Spirit with "power, love, and self-discipline." Woo hoo! Just letting these words sink in blesses my heart in abundance. There is no need to worry about tomorrow because He already knows the future. There is no need to fret over little things when the Big Thing is the most important. Oh my, I am getting so blessed this morning by these thoughts. Oh how I wish more people would experience this way of life. I pray for more people to realize He is their "portion" in a way nothing nor anyone else can be. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with the sermon in the morning and then the afternoon as I read for my Preaching class. I pray for Ms Paula who is going through tough times of pain. I also pray for the Barnett family with the sudden death of their young daughter. Lord, may you be the comfort this family needs in these tough days. I also pray for my four-legged buddy who isn't feeling well. Lord, I know some would say 'he's just a dog' but Father You have given Him to me as a great comfort through many times of illness and trials. Father, most of all I pray for a cleansing in my spirit so I can be who You desire me to be. May You empower me today with Your words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. May people see/hear You instead of me. May You be greater than anything that comes my way. Thank You Jesus for being My Portion. Amen.

No comments: