Monday, April 30, 2018

Philippians 4:12 - "Good, Good Father"


Yesterday our Sunday School lesson was on Elijah and the widow. When Elijah asked the widow for something to eat, she told him she was getting sticks to make a fire for a last meal for her and her son. He told her to go home and make it but bring him a loaf of bread first. He told her the Lord would provide. She was obedient and the Lord provided just as he said He would. Even after making the bread there was still flour and oil. Later her son quit breathing and Elijah brought him back to life. The widow replied, "Now I know you are a man of God and that the word of the Lord from your mouth is the truth" (I Kings 17:24). As we were discussing this story I was reminded of how the Lord has provided recently in my life. As I was driving home from the ministry assessment and so tired the gas tank was down to a quarter of a tank and I was an hour from home. When I was talking to Doc, he said to not let it get too low. I cried out to God with something like, "O God can't you just keep the gauge from moving? I am so tired and do not think I have the energy to stop. I really just want to get home before dark." The gauge did not move that entire hour and the farther I drove, I became refreshed in my spirit from watching it. Another instance was just a few days ago where within an hour of a discussion we had about finances the Lord provided an opportunity. I am reminded of the time where I made a phone call to the pastor asking for prayer when Doc lost his job. The pastor's response was "you need to tithe." I thought he was crazy. We were not going to have the money to pay our bills, let alone give to the church. But tithing isn't about giving to the church. It is about giving to God. We started tithing that next Sunday and God provided for all of our needs without any bills being missed. I have prayed before for the Lord to stretch the food in the cupboards/freezer/fridge and He has. We were talking in class yesterday about how it can be hard for people to ask others for help or even to accept help. When I was growing up, there were hundreds of times people brought in meals, groceries, etc. when Mom and/or Dad were sick or hospitalized. We had people who took them to appointments when the other one was not available, cleaned the house, etc. When they were healthy, they did the same for others. It was the way I was raised. Doc, on the other hand, never had such circumstances so it is harder for him to accept help. God provides what we need, when we need it. Sometimes it comes in a miracle such as my gas gauge not moving. Sometimes it comes through people who want to love on you. The 'secret' to living this type of life comes in trusting Him and living in a deep faith atmosphere. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for providing my needs and even sometimes my wants. Thank You for giving me the desire in my heart to crave more of You. I pray today will be one of great insight as I do my schoolwork. I so enjoy studying Paul. I also pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me up with more of Yourself. Thank You for being my words, actions, and attitude throughout this day. I pray for safe travels for Tim today. I also praise You for the fun time we had yesterday with Campbell's. Thank You for providing that event through the drawing. Father, I continue to pray for a family in turmoil to find resolve through You. I also pray for a a situation in another relationship and protection over another. Lord, You are so awesome and I praise You for all the ways You work in and through me. Thank You for being My Provider. Amen.

No comments: