Sunday, September 3, 2023

Romans 14 - "Who Am I?"


Yesterday as we were getting ready to go for our morning walk I felt dizzy so I laid back down. I spent the morning resting until time to meet Kaye and MIke for lunch. The medicine I took helped but instead of doing errands we came back home afterward and I laid back down again. After a two hour nap I felt better but still not the best. Doug mentioned it was going to be a pretty sunset if I felt like going. I wasn't sure if I felt up to it but decided to try. I was thankful I made the decision to go. We met a couple and their son who were visiting from Georgia. They are contemplating moving and Beaufort is one of the areas they are looking at. Our conversation about how God works in our lives was so awesome. John is struggling with his faith but by the end of talking said he knew why they came to that particular spot for sunset. They originally had plans to go elsewhere but decided to come there. The conversation with them encouraged my heart so much. Spending time with Kaye and getting to know Mike yesterday afternoon also encouraged my heart. I love how God encourages us. Before falling asleep last night I prayed for pastors as I usually do on Saturday nights. I asked God to put people in their path to encourage them. Libby shared a post yesterday that 1784 pastors quit every month. This statistic saddens me in so many ways. First of all, I get angry how the enemy works. Secondly, I am grieved over the spiritual walk of people who are in relationship with the Lord including pastors. Thirdly, it hurts my heart to see how people can hurt other people with their words and actions. Paul gave direction years ago in various books he wrote about how we are to encourage one another. Romans 14 is full of advice on living to build one another up. He tells us we are not to do anything to make our brother stumble in verse thirteen as he tells us to walk in God's love. He encourages us to not allow legalism to cause issues in our relationships in verses fourteen through seventeen. Verse nineteen encourages us to live in peace. The way we live on earth will determine where we spend eternity. As we live out the way of life Paul speaks of God will shine through us. Matthew Henry wrote:

Righteousness, peace, and joy, are words that mean a great deal. As to God, our great concern is to appear before him justified by Christ's death, sanctified by the Spirit of his grace; for the righteous Lord loveth righteousness. As to our brethren, it is to live in peace, and love, and charity with them; following peace with all men. As to ourselves, it is joy in the Holy Ghost; that spiritual joy wrought by the blessed Spirit in the hearts of believers, which respects God as their reconciled Father, and heaven as their expected home. 

I know I want to spend eternity with the Lord. I also know I need to work harder at living in peace with everyone. Some relationships are harder to attain peace in but I'm sure there are times God shakes His head at me and wonders what it is going to take to get me thinking right, having my actions different, etc. Thankfully He doesn't give up on me. I woke this morning with the song "Who Am I" on my mind. I can't wait to hear Casting Crowns in person again and am excited Doug gets to experience them in person too. The words of this song encourage me greatly. They remind me I am nothing without God.

I am a flower quickly fading:
Here today and gone tomorrow.
A wave tossed in the ocean,
A vapor in the wind.
Still You hear me when I'm calling.
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling.
And You've told me who I am.
I am Yours, I am Yours.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for always being there to hear me when I'm calling as this song goes! Thank You for the time Doug and I had with Mike and Kaye yesterday afternoon! Thank You also for the new friends we met last night and the conversation we had about You with them! Lord, as I prayed for pastors last night You reminded me to pray for them to be encouraged. I pray against the statistic of the amount of pastors leaving ministry. Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your encouragement over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Great Encourager! Amen. 

No comments: