Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Psalm 19 - "Word of God Speak"


When Carol Goodwin prayed and anointed me Sunday for my mammogram, she made mention of this being just a 'bump in the road.' As I walked by the water and prayed before going in for it I asked God to not let it be a 'pothole.' He answered that prayer in the manner I hoped. You would think after seven years I would not get so antsy over it but I do. I am so thankful for God being Who He is in my life and for the way He puts up with my emotions. Although, since He is the One who created me I can blame Him. LOL Last night we celebrated with dinner out at a restaurant we had never gone to and then went to Pigeon Point to watch sunset. This morning I was reminded of the words of David in Psalm 19 so I read it in different versions. David begins in verse one, The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. I reflected on God's glory as we watched the sunset. It was so pretty. It was one of the many gifts God gave me yesterday. I basked in it's beauty and once again thanked Him for the day. Another of the gifts given was Sunday's sermon He crafted and then this morning through these words completed it. Woo hoo, God! Verses seven through ten speak of God's Word is exactly what we need. Matthew Henry writes of these verses:

The Holy Scripture is of much greater benefit to us than day or night, than the air we breathe, or the light of the sun. To recover man out of his fallen state, there is need of the word of God. The word translated "law," may be rendered doctrine, and be understood as meaning all that teaches us true religion. The statues of the Lord are right, just as they should be; and, because they are right, they rejoice the heart. The commandments of the Lord are pure, holy, just, and good. By them we discover our need of a Saviour; and then learn how to adorn his gospel. They are the means which the Holy Spirit uses in enlightening the eyes; they bring us to a sight and sense of our sin and misery, and direct us in the way of duty. The fear of the Lord, that is, true religion and godliness, is clean, it will cleanse our way; and it endureth for ever. The ceremonial law is long since done away, but the law concerning the fear of God is ever the same. The judgments of the Lord, his precepts, are true; they are righteous, and they are so altogether; there is no unrighteousness in any of them. Gold is only for the body, and the concerns of time; but grace is for the soul, and the concerns of eternity. The word of God, received by faith, is more precious than gold; it is sweet to the soul, sweeter than honey. The pleasure of sense soon surfeit, yet never satisfy; but those of religion are substantial and satisfying; there is no danger of excess.

I am reminded this morning of the song "Word of God Speak" and feeling very blessed to have His Word. Many people don't have His Word as we do. I look at my shelf and see so many Bibles and think of those who don't even have one. It saddens me. When someone comes into relationship with God, I make sure they have their own Bible. Some believers don't pick up their Bibles except for on Sunday. It needs opened every day so God can speak through it. There is nothing better than to see someone carrying a worn Bible. That always puts a smile on my face. 

Word of God speak
Would You pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see
Your majesty
To be still and know
That You're in this place
Please let me stay and rest
In Your holiness 
Word of God speak

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with a 'clean' mammogram, Billy helping Doug with projects, and our time of celebration last night! Thank You for being with Dave and Carol as they travel back to Ohio and David and Loretta as they travel back to New Jersey! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray I will fulfill Psalm 19:14 throughout today. I pray Your strength over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Rock! Amen.  

No comments: