Monday, September 4, 2023

Psalm 53 - "Confidence"


The Lord took me to Psalm 53 this morning. I read it in different versions and settled into The Voice to ponder. Verse one of this Psalm reminds me of what I talked about in yesterday's sermon. It reads, The foolish are convinced deep down that there is no God. Their souls are polluted, and they commit gross injustice. Not one of them does good. I talked about those in the world that are agnostic. The dictionary defines someone agnostic as, "a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God."
I've heard people say they believe there must be a divine being but don't believe we can have a relationship with God because we cannot see Him. I have also heard people say they don't believe in God because it's all a myth. These statements hurt my heart. How can anyone look around at nature and not recognize God's power? How can anyone have the sun shine down on their face and not feel His presence? I talked yesterday about how sometimes people get so overwhelmed with circumstances they become hopeless. They feel like God has abandoned them. He never leaves us. It is us who turn away from Him. This morning as I pondered upon Psalm 53 I thought about how the enemy plays havoc in our lives. No one is perfect and all sin. When we sincerely repent of our sins, God forgives and forgets. The enemy is there to try to trip us up anytime he can. We read in James 2:19 that even the enemy believes in God. He knows the power of God and works to tear Him down but he does not have such power. This Psalm speaks of the wickedness of the world. We see and hear of evil all around us but we do not have to give into it. We need to stand strong in God's love and be who He has called us to be. When we live for Him on this earth, we will live for Him for eternity. Matthew Henry wrote: He will save all believers from their own sins, that they may not be led captive by them, which will be everlasting joy to them. From this work the Redeemer had his name JESUS, for he shall save his people from their sins. God desires to bless us as we bless Him. Sometimes we may feel like He is not hearing our prayers but He does. He may not answer them in the way we desire but He answers them in our best interest. When we put other people or things in His place, we are susceptible to sin. We must keep Him first in our life. We must not lose hope and think God has deserted us and in turn desert Him. We must not be like ‘fair weather’ friends who are there – as long as the blessings flow. But when the well of blessings run dry – move on to other things. Sometimes the ways of this world hurt my heart so deeply. It hurts to see families turn apart because of the sins of the parents. It hurts to see marriages torn apart because of selfish desires. It hurts to see estrangement of parents and their children because of the way the enemy has been given open doors into lives. These things hurt my heart but God is there to be the soothing balm over all situations and people who will allow Him. I face many giants every day that take a lot of faith in God to stand up against. I feel so inadequate and sometimes do not have the words to say. Then God reminds me there are times I need to be silent and let my actions show His love. I am reminded this morning of a song Sanctus Real sings called "Confidence"...

I'm not a warrior, I'm too afraid to lose
I feel unqualified for what You're calling me to
But Lord with Your strength, I've got no excuse
'Cause broken people are exactly who You use
So give me faith like Daniel in the lion's den
Give me hope like Moses in the wilderness
Give me a heart like David, Lord be my defense
So I can face my giants with confidence

Dear Jesus, Thank You for yesterday with Sunday School, service, lunch with Carol and Betty, rest in the afternoon, and the beautiful sunset last night! Thank You for the new friends Doug and I met last night! Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray "Confidence" over many going through difficult days. I pray they will not feel hopeless but instead lean into Your strength. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Thank You for being My Confidence! Amen. 

No comments: