Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Psalm 23 - "The More I Seek You"



I was thinking about Psalm 23 this morning as I plan another funeral sermon. This Psalm is one used frequently at funerals yet is appropriate for life. We must look to the Lord as our Shepherd and allow Him to guide us through the ups and downs of life. When we live in His presence, we will experience His blessings in abundance in so many ways. The more we seek to live a Christ-like life the more we will realize what He desires of us. The relationship we read between David and God in the beginning of this Psalm is enlightening. When we think about David's life and the way he leaned into the Lord, we see an example to learn from. David wrote this Psalm from personal experience because he too was a shepherd. David knew that he had received God's lavish care all his life. The Shepherd fed David in peaceful green pastures. He refreshed him with cool water from a quiet stream. God provided so well for him that he lacked nothing. He was satisfied because David knew the Lord. David called the Lord, My Shepherd. David knew his Shepherd well and the Lord knew David too. David's example of relationship with the Lord is what I desire. I want to draw closer to Him. I have the song, "The More I Seek You" going through my mind as I read Psalm 23. I want to be more intentional in being in God's presence and experiencing what He has for me.

I want to sit at your feet
Drink from the cup in your hand
Lay back against you and breathe, feel your heart beat
This love is so deep, its more than I can stand
I melt in your peace, its overwhelming

I love the word picture this song gives. Sitting at Jesus' feet is something we can do metaphorically until we are in heaven with Him. I love sitting at the beach listening to the waves with the sun shining down upon me and have conversations with Him. I shared in Sunday's sermon how there are times Doug and I are on our morning walk and I ask him for some quiet time so I can be alone with God. Being out in nature is where I connect with God the most. 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday with all that Doug, Billy, and the plumber accomplished around the house! Thank You for the rest I received as I was not feeling the best! Thank You for Doug burying Mordecei's ashes and for our neighbor who gave us the cross/flag stone for the flower garden! It is so appropriate to have it as a memorial for Doc. Cleanse me so You can fill me so people hear/see You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your empowerment over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Audrey; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! Lord, be so close to Praise Assembly Church with the sudden death of their pastor. Thank You for being My Shepherd! Amen.  

No comments: