Sunday, September 17, 2023

John 4 - "Woman At The Well"

Yesterday was a blessed day with participating in the District Children's Missions Day. It was so cool how God had me write in my blog about seeing 'obstacles' as 'opportunities' and then putting that concept into practice. When life doesn't go as we think it should or how we've planned, God will provide exactly what is needed and will teach us lessons in the process. Kids are more apt to 'go with the flow' or adjust as needed when plans change. Adults can learn from them and the way they adapt to changes. As I looked out over one of the groups yesterday I wondered how many of them were church kids and how many came along with a friend. I also wondered how many are in churches where they are being mentored. Several years ago we set-up a buddy system where we paired adults with teens. The adult would make weekly contact with the teen and were encouraged to get together with them once a month. My Momma was involved in such an activity at her church a few years ago. It was a 'win-win' situation. It gave her a purpose even though she was slowing down in life and it provided her a new friendship. The teen she was paired up with was going through a tough time in life and was encouraged by my Momma. When Doug and I visited the Willard Church last Sunday, I was happy to hear they are continuing to do this. When Doc was a youth pastor, we paired up high schoolers with middle schoolers. This was also a 'win-win' to teach the older kids and to encourage the younger ones. I was so pleased to see so many men involved in yesterday's events. Children need men as leaders in their life. Little boys need to see its OK to sit and do crafts even though 'it's a girl activity.' Many children are in a single parent home and have little to no contact with a male. It truly blessed my heart to see how many adults were present yesterday but especially for the way they participated with the children. Once again my mind wandered to thoughts about the adults. Were they people who would be in church today or was yesterday just a fun day out for them? Would the adults who participated yesterday share about their experience in church today? How many would be too tired from yesterday's experience and not even go to church? My mind would not shut down last night when we went to bed. I struggled to fall asleep as I reflected on the day and prayed for all involved. I prayed for pastors who had children at Missions Day to ask the participants about it. I prayed for pastors like myself who had no children there to still share with the congregation about the importance of not only getting children involved in such events but to get involved themselves. I also prayed for all pastors who would be in the pulpit this morning to speak what God desired. If God changes sermons, I pray pastors will adhere to His direction. This morning God woke me with the song "Woman At The Well" on my mind. It starts with...

I heard a story from the Bible
When I was just a little girl
About a broken hearted woman
Who met the savior of the world

These lyrics made me think about the seeds planted at Children's Missions Day. I pray for any of the children who will feel the call to missions because of what they experienced yesterday. I also pray for the adults who were there and may feel the call to missions on their heart. Not every missionary leaves the country. We have missions to do right in our own little world.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings Doug and I had with safe travels to the cabin and for the blessings I had with Children's Missions Day! Thank You for Pastors Libby and Cait​ who spearheaded the event and for all the volunteers! I pray for each seed planted through this event to be cultivated. I pray for pastors who had children attend to ask questions. I also pray for all pastors who will preach this morning to be ready to have a sermon change if You choose to do so. Cleanse me so You can fill me so people will see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Doug's sister Jackie; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Jack and Paula; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a husband/father separated from his wife; Mary Lilley; Brooklyn; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many dealing with ‘c’ and/or going through treatments…Chrissy’s cousin; Shirley Jones; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; Mr Mullett; Marybeth's friends; David; Damon; Dave and Carol with his treatments; and Dan. I pray for: the Long family; Becky; Baby Sabre and her family; Debbie and her family; and Russ. Thank You for continued healing for Pastor Tommy and Pam! I pray You will surround Susan and her family with people who will love on them with Your love during these tough days. Thank You for being My Savior! Amen.  

No comments: