Thursday, November 24, 2022

Jeremiah 29:11-13 - "The Thanksgiving Song"


Today I am thankful for Thanksgiving Days of the past, present, and future. Before falling asleep I thought about many of them. Our first one here in Beaufort held many firsts. It was my first one being away from my family. It was my first one dealing with radiation for breast cancer. We decided to walk the McTeer bridge after the turkey was in the oven. I wasn't sure if I could make it the whole way or not but woo hoo I did! Another first. When we lived in Ohio, the week of Thanksgiving held expectation of having the boys family's at the house sometimes even overnight. There were times when we had people in our home for Thanksgiving dinner who had no family around. There were also times we spent ministering to the homeless. Yesterday as I helped Wanda from Salvation Army sort toys for the upcoming give away I was surrounded by memories of doing such things in Mansfield. What a privilege to be a part of this community in this manner. The day after Thanksgiving traditionally was the day to put up the Christmas tree. Two years when I fell on this day it disrupted a lot of traditions. On Thanksgiving Day that year I remember asking the Carrington's to drop me off at the house for just an hour or two because I needed to be home by myself. The first Thanksgiving without Doc was hard. Some people surround themselves with other people, stay busy, etc. on such days but that day I just needed some time to sit in his recliner and cry. God knew what I needed and provided. Last year the day after Thanksgiving I received a last phone call from my Rickey before he was taken to the hospital which made for a very stressful day. Thanksgiving was suppose to be our first one together but COVID changed that. We had plans to celebrate with my church family on Thanksgiving Day and go to Savannah the day after but obviously that did not happen. Forty-two years ago on Thanksgiving Day I was told to 'take it easy' for the weekend as Paul's birth was to happen the Monday after. I begged the doctors to do the c-section the day after Thanksgiving but it did not work in the surgeon's schedule so it was put off until Monday. Not. After going into labor he was born the day after Thanksgiving. Woo hoo! So many memories of Thanksgivings of the past. Today will be spent with my church family. They love on me well and I am so grateful for each of them in my life. God woke me with Jeremiah 29:11-13 on my mind. He knows what is ahead of all of our days. He knows the hurts and pains of life and desires to be the soothing balm for all of them. He knows the mountains to be climbed and the victories to be won in the process. I am so grateful for this knowledge. I also am grateful He puts people before us to love on us with His love. There are so many hurting people in this world. Some are so lonely because they are physically alone and some are so lonely even though they are surrounded by others. There are many dealing with disease which makes for hard days but when holidays come around they are even harder. Today I choose to bask in the memories of past Thanksgivings, make new memories in the present day, and live in the hope of Christ for future ones. I love a song Ben Rector sings called "The Thanksgiving Song"...

So fill your plate and fill your drink
And fill this house with family
The kind of love that all these years can't wash away
'Cause the older that I get I see that 
Life is short and bittersweet
Thank God for this Thanksgiving Day

Life changes. Holidays change. Both the good and the bad memories are always with us. We must allow God to empower us through holidays so He can use us to help others to also get through them. I do not want to just get through them but I desire to glorify God in the process.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessing of helping Wanda sort toys yesterday! Thank You for the memories of past Thanksgivings, the memories that will be made today, and the memories You will give me in the future! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today in a mighty way. I pray for those hurting to feel Your love. I pray they will be empowered to not just get through the day ahead but to glorify You through all that happens. My Momma; my sisters Linda with the death of a sister-in-law, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Jack; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; Cyndi; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; Serena and her husband; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Preacher Bill Watts; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; my friend with pancreatic cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele who starts treatment this week for breast cancer; and a young lady awaiting cancer testing. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam, Baby Henry, Kaye, Darryle and his family, Pastor Jason and Pastor Mike. I pray for a father with a prodigal daughter to know You have not left him. Lord, once again I pray today will be the day the MS tingling dissipates. Thank You for being My Memory Maker! Amen.

No comments: