Thursday, July 22, 2021

Romans 15:13 - "Less Like Me"

Seventy five years ago today a young lady and man were married. Their love story is one I cherish. It is a story filled with tragedies, illnesses, deaths, etc but it is also a story filled with a dependence upon God. The faith my parents showed me is one that taught me how to not just get through life but to glorify God in the process. I am so thankful for what God did in and through them so I could be where I am in life today. He loves me so greatly through the treasured memories I have. Not only do I have memories of what happened in my life but I treasure the stories of what happened before I was born. My Daddy used to start out a story with 'Sheila Babe, this happened when you were still on the shelf waiting to be born...' Oh how I miss my Daddy and his sense of humor. I miss his hugs and his phone calls. I have a glimpse of how my Momma feels since Doc left this earth but we were together only half as long as they had so I'm sure it's different. I think the most special part of their love story happened in my Daddy's last moments when they held each other and talked. How precious! My God is such a great God! He gives us exactly what we need, when we need it. These last few days have been tough physically with trying to catch up on rest. When I start to panic about things that need done, I stop and pray and ask God to direct my steps. I ask Him to open doors that need opened to accomplish what He desires of me. There are a few 'firsts' ahead in the next week that I need His strength for in abundance. Physical, mental, emotional, and financial. But most of all I need His spiritual strength to not just get through these times but to glorify Him through them. Once again, He has taken me to Romans 15:13 again this morning. God gave me this verse Monday morning as I awaited the ordination service. He gave it to me again Tuesday as I reflected back on Monday and again Wednesday as I worked on Sunday's sermon. Today He gave it to me once again as a reminder of what life can and should look like. My parents modeled a life of trust through many obstacles. I am thankful for the memories of watching my maternal grandparents pray together every night before bed. I am thankful for the memories of praying together with Doc. God has given me a treasure trunk of memories that I love to think about. He also gives me His empowerment every day to not just get through the day but to glorify Him through it. I am thankful for His joy, peace, and hope I receive as I strive to live a Christ-like life. I am grateful for the life-giving energy of the Holy Spirit that fills me as I allow Him. It is through Him I can knock the enemy down when he tries to put doubts and fears upon me. Woo hoo! I am grateful for the reminder of Zach Williams song "Less Like Me" this morning...

A little more like mercy, a little more like grace
A little more like kindness, goodness, love, and faith
A little more like patience, a little more like peace
A little more like Jesus, a little less like me

Dear Jesus, Thank You for loving me so greatly! Thank You for giving me exactly what I need, when I need it! Thank You the legacy I have in my parents! Lord, wrap Your arms around my Momma today and give her what she needs as she reflects on their marriage. My Daddy would be so proud of her and the way she has continued on since he left this earth. I pray for Dee and her family with the loss of her sister. May You be so near to them. I also continue to pray for many who are going through tough days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Dan; parents of a young man dealing with addiction; Cathy Coe and her family; Pastor Sam's family with his father's health; Sharon Sebolt; a lady having surgery tomorrow to remove cancer from her kidney; Melanie; Pete and Delores; Allison; Mary Lilley; Gay and Doug; Chrissy; the Pottenger family; and so many others. Lord, continue to give Little Ivy's family Your strength through these days. I pray for Joyce Wolf as she continues to recuperate from surgery. I also pray for a cleansing in my spirit so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You and less of me. I pray for Rickey to have safe travels today. Thank You again for bringing him into my life! I pray for Marion to go to therapy easily for me today and most of all for her to have some relief from the pain she is experiencing. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. Thank You for being The One To Fill Me! Amen.

No comments: