Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Romans 15 - "What If"


I woke up this morning thinking about how important it is to trust God throughout life's challenges. When the enemy tries to put fear upon us, God is there to knock him down. When we get 'bad news' about ourselves or a loved one, it is easy to fall apart but God is there to love on us and get us through such times. When we are waiting on something to come we are expecting or waiting on an answer from God, we can become discouraged but we need to continue to trust Him for His timing. I am so thankful I do not know the future. If I did, I might try to manipulate it to be as I desire. I need to trust Him for what He desires. I once again think of Paul's writing in Romans 15:13. I read this particular verse in various versions today and settled in on the New Living Translation. Matthew Henry writes of this Scripture:

We shall never seek to Christ till we trust in him. And the whole plan of redemption is suited to reconcile us to one another, as well as to our gracious God, so that an abiding hope of eternal life, through the sanctifying and comforting power of the Holy Spirit, may be attained. Our own power will never reach this; therefore where this hope is, and is abounding, the blessed Spirit must have all the glory. "All joy and peace;" all sorts of true joy and peace, so as to suppress doubts and fears, through the powerful working of the Holy Spirit.

I desire to live this way of life. I desire the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to be in me in such a way people will not see or hear me but Him. I desire to be at peace no matter what is happening in life. When Doc took his last breath on this earth, I had a choice to make. I could either be mad at God for 'ruining' my life or I could embrace my new life. I could either quit trusting Him or I could go deeper in my walk with Him. God put a call on my life to be His faithful servant and that is what I continue to strive to do every day. He put a call on my life to preach the Gospel and that is what I continue to do every time I have the opportunity. He put a call on my life to love with His love which I do. When He called us to South Carolina, He called both of us. I am so thankful for the way He used Doc to mentor me as a pastor. I also am grateful He is in control of my life. If I did not trust Him, the decisions I make may be foolish. The goal of my life on this earth is to make decisions with His wisdom and empowerment so I will live with Him for eternity. Woo hoo! If I were to die today, I know where I will go. I have no fear of dying but instead look forward to being with my Heavenly Daddy. As long as He has me on this earth I need to make sure I am living out His will for my life. I know that includes living in His presence, reading His Word, being in constant communion with Him, loving with His love, etc. He speaks to me through His Word and for that I'm grateful. I was reading about the importance of reading His Word. One commentary described it in this manner. "Holy Scripture is the divine storehouse of all furniture for the Christian life, even in its most trying and delicate features." I love the word picture given with the words 'divine storehouse of all furniture'! Woo hoo! In verse four of Romans 15 it reads in the New International VersionFor everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope. Praise His Holy Name! Once again, the importance of being in His Word is great. His Word holds the answers to every question we could ever ask. It holds peace in the midst of the storms of life and wisdom for every decision to be made. Many years ago when God told me to go to school to preach I questioned Him but did as He said. It did not make sense to me when Doc was the preacher in the house but I was obedient. Fast forward eight years and Doc took his last breath on this earth. God was preparing me to be who He called me to be. He prepared me in many different ways and for that I am grateful. I can reflect and see His hand upon me over these years in a mighty way. I also have hope in knowing He continues to guide me and is with me every step of the way. Walking down the aisle for ordination was not what I pictured. I anticipated falling apart with tears falling uncontrollably. Instead He put a smile on my face and joy in my heart. I was not alone. God was with me and empowering me just as He always is and does. I was so blessed to carry the Bible Doc bought for me for ordination day. When he realized his days were drawing to a close on this earth, he wrote in it for me. That Bible and his words will always have a special place in my heart. I also have a special place in my heart for the knowledge I am walking in God's will. I do not want to mess up anything but instead desire to fulfill each day with the desire of His heart. This morning the words to a song Matthew West sings is on my heart.

What if today's the only day I got?
I don't wanna waste it if it's my last shot
No regrets in the end
I wanna know I got no what ifs
I'm running till the road runs out
I'm lighting it up right here right now
No regrets in the end
I wanna know I got no what ifs

I'm gonna dream a little bigger
Burn a little brighter
Stand a little taller, closer to your fire
Dig a little deeper
Reach a little further
Love a little harder


Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the safe travels to District Assembly, the love You showered over me through others, and for the knowledge I am walking in Your will! Thank You for Your Word, songs, and people who encourage me greatly in my walk with You! Thank You especially for Rickey who encourages me so greatly! Thank You for bringing him into my life! Lord, I pray for a cleansing in my soul so You can empower me to be the lady You have called me to be. May people see/hear You instead of me today. May You give me opportunities to love with Your love in ways that will blow my mind. I pray Your peace over many going through difficult days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Dan; Ben and Colleen; Gay and Doug; Jack and Paula; Pastor Sam's father; a woman having surgery for cancer Friday; Melanie; Joyce Wolf; Mary Lilley; Carrie and Chris; Chrissy; and many others. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. I pray for physical strength as I am so tired from all that has been happening. Lord, do not let anything be a distraction to what You desire of me. Thank You for being My Source of Hope! Amen.

No comments: