Monday, July 12, 2021

Psalm 119:17-24; II Timothy 1:7 - "Scars In Heaven"

Yesterday held so many emotions. Excitement, disappointment, happiness, sadness, proud, anxiousness of doing something 'wrong.' I am so glad to have God beside me every step of life. I am thankful He is there in the 'good' times and the 'tough' times. Most of all I am thankful I not only hear His voice but I desire to walk in obedience to Him. My thoughts go back to nine years ago when He told me to go to Nazarene Bible College for preaching. I remember questioning Him because it did not make sense I would preach when Doc was the one who preached. Fast forward to nine years later and here I am. I recently shared the story of God telling me 'no' when I asked if I would put up Christmas decorations in Willard when I asked Him five years ago. When I asked where, His reply was 'South Carolina.' Once again I questioned Him because I had never lived far from my family and seven hundred miles sure is a long way. I believe our move from Orrville to Willard was the beginning of Him preparing me for moving further away from them. Even with the peace of knowing I am doing what God desires of me I still have moments where the tears fall. But that is OK because God made tears to sooth and heal. I kept thinking during the baptism service about how Doc would have been thrilled for what is happening in the lives of people. He would have a big smile on his face and would be bursting in his spirit. Tears fell again yesterday afternoon when the song "Scars In Heaven" was playing and I thought about how much this song reminds me of him. 

The only scars in heaven, they won't belong to me and you
There'll be no such thing as broken and all the old will be made new
And the thought that makes me smile now even as the tears fall down
Is that the only scars in heaven are on the hands that hold you now

I know the road you walked was anything but easy
You picked up your share of scars along the way
Oh, but now you're standing in the sun, you've fought your fight and your race is run
The pain is all a million miles away

Yesterday as I anointed Clay in the place of a friend who was diagnosed with brain cancer I thought about how I hate to hear the word cancer. I do not usually use the word 'hate' but in this case I do. As I anointed him I thought about little Ivy with the leukemia. The road when cancer is a part of life is a road taken by the whole family. It is not just the person with it that goes through it but everyone. I am thankful for the knowledge Doc is no longer suffering from the cancer and for the knowledge He is in the arms of our Heavenly Father. This knowledge is known because of the way he lived his life. Yesterday's sermon on Psalm 119:17-24 reminds me of how we all need to live life on this earth so we can live for eternity with our Heavenly Father. These verses are entitled The Abundant Life in The Passion Translation.

Let me, your servant, walk in abundance of life that I may always live to obey your truth. Open my eyes to see the miracle-wonders hidden in Scripture. My life on earth is so brief, so tutor me in the ways of your wisdom. I am continually consumed by these irresistible longings, these cravings to obey your every commandment! Your displeasure rests with those who are arrogant, who think they know everything; you rebuke the rebellious who refuse your laws. Don’t let them mock and scorn me for obeying you. For even if the princes and my leaders choose to criticize me, I will continue to serve you and walk in your plans for my life. Your commandments are my counselors; your Word is my light and delight!


A life of abundance is exactly what I desire to live. I strive to obey Him and walk in His will. His love and wisdom are greatly appreciated throughout both the 'good' and the 'tough' days. 


Dear Jesus,

Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for loving on me so greatly! Father, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You instead of me. I pray for those who were baptized yesterday to wake up with the knowledge You are with them every step of the day. The enemy does not like when we take steps for You and will try everything in his power to cause havoc in our life. I pray II Timothy 1:7 over Alex, Cait, Annabelle, Kayla, and Darrell. I also pray it over many going through 'tough' times in life. I pray they will experience Your empowerment to not just get through this time but to glorify You through it. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Steve; Melanie; a friend struggling in her marriage; four friends with career issues; Jack and Paula; my high school friend Jack and Debbie Dennis as they recuperate from surgeries; Carrie and Chris; Pete and Delores; Risner Family; Gay and Doug; Chrissy; Sharon Sebolt; and so many others. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. May the tears that fall be healing for all of us. Thank You for putting Rickey in my life to encourage me! Thank You Jesus for being My Abundance of Life! Amen.


No comments: