Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Romans 10 - "Yes He Can"


What an awesome experience last night on the zoom call with Dr. David Busic, Pastor Sam, Pastor Greg, and the other ten ordinands and their spouses! I wasn't sure what to expect with this format due to COVID but was pleasantly surprised. It was an emotional time as I saw all the couples. I am blessed with the fond memory of Doc being with me last June for my in-person interview but it is times like last night that are hard. There are a lot of disappointments involved in this process but the one thing that is not a disappointment is the way God continues to encourage me through such times. I was reading from Romans 10 this morning and was blessed in Paul's words about salvation. I love how he worded it as 'faith-righteousness.' It takes a lot of faith to live a life for Christ. Verse eight and nine speak of God's living message as being the revelation of faith for salvation. We receive the gift of salvation by proclaiming Him as our Savior. Verse ten reads, The heart that believes in Him receives the gift of the righteousness of God--and then the mouth confesses, resulting in salvation. Praise His Holy Name! Paul continues with words from the prophet Isaiah that when we believe in Him we will not be disappointed. I believe in Him yet I still face disappointments in life. The thing I must remember is sometimes what I see as disappointments are God's way of protecting me. Sometimes they are God's way of showing me something better. There are times disappointments will grow my faith. Matthew Henry wrote of these verses:

We must devote and give up to God our souls and our bodies: our souls in believing with the heart, and our bodies in confessing with the mouth. The believer shall never have cause to repent his confident trust in the Lord Jesus. Of such faith no sinner shall be ashamed before God; and he ought to glory in it before men.

These words reminded me of something I said in Sunday's sermon. 'His Word needs to go from our head to our heart to our mouth and to our hands. The more we put His Word in us, the more His Word will flow from us.' There is such truth in this. When disappointments happen in life, we must dig in deeper and allow God to show us what we can learn from them. I could have given up on ordination when Doc died but I didn't. I could have walked away from the call God has on my life but I didn't. Why? The words to "Yes He Can" come to my mind this morning...

Did He move every mountain? Did He part every sea?
Yes He did, so yes He can, oh
Did He defeat the darkness? Did He deliver me?
Yes He did, so yes He can

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the way You directed me yesterday through some 'tough' times and through some 'good' times! Thank You for Rickey's visit and all we did while he was here! I pray for safe travels for him today. Thank You for Marion going to therapy, answered prayers for my school friend's medical tests, and for the zoom call last night with Dr. Busic, Pastor Sam, Pastor Greg, and the other ordinands! Thank You for being with Chrissy today with her procedure! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You be seen/heard through my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude today in a mighty way. I continue to pray Your peace over: my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben; Ben and Colleen; Melanie; Elizabeth; Jack and Paula; Little Ivy's family; my school friend Jack; Gay and Doug; Ron Ross; Elaine's son; Sharon Sebolt; and so many others. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. When disappointments come, open our eyes to what we can learn from them. Thank You for being My Mountain Mover! Amen.

No comments: