Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Psalm 71:17-24 - "I'm Leaning On You"

Yesterday was a day full of blessings. I experienced going to a sit-down restaurant for the first time since Doc passed. God was with me every moment of the experience. Marion went to therapy without too much hassle which was another blessing. Talking and laughing with Rickey over the phone blessed me in abundance. My Tuesday night on-line class with other pastors always blesses me. Last night being in a group with James and Roland blessed me so much. I love being a sponge with other pastors so I can learn from them. I love enoucraging them when I hear of things they are going through and especially love praying for them. Seeing the smile on my friend's face when I gave her coupons for freebies was another blessing in the day. I was even blessed by the tears that fell when a song came on the radio that reminded me of Doc. I know tears are part of the healing process and am grateful for them. As I reflect on yesterday I see 'tough' times but most of all I see blessings. My earthly Daddy taught me to see the cup half full instead of half empty. I am thankful for my upbringing where trusting God was essential for life. My parents went through so much in their sixty six years of marriage. Loss of my sister, multiple health issues, lots of disappointments, financial issues, etc. The list goes on an on. But they also showed me how to get through life in the best way possible and that is with the Lord. Praise His Holy Name! I am reminded of Crowder's song called "I'm Leaning on You"...

Jesus, take the beauty from the pain
Jesus, lift these weary hands again
Turn the silence into songs of praise
Jesus, I am leaning on Your name
I'm leaning on You

This is exactly what Jesus does for all who live for Him. He loves us so greatly and desires to bless us. I love David's words in Psalm 71:17-24 in The Passion Translation.

From my childhood you’ve been my teacher,
    and I’m still telling everyone of your miracle-wonders!
18 God, now that I’m old and gray, don’t walk away.
    Give me grace to demonstrate to the next generation
    all your mighty miracles and your excitement,
    to show them your magnificent power!
19 For your glorious righteousness reaches up to the high heavens.
    No one could ever be compared to you!
    Who is your equal, O God of marvels and wonders?
20 Even though you’ve let us sink down with trials and troubles,
    I know you will revive us again,
    lifting us up from the dust of death.
21 Give us even more greatness than before.
    Turn and comfort us once again.
22 My loving God, the harp in my heart will praise you.
    Your faithful heart toward us will be the theme of my song.
    Melodies and music will rise to you, the Holy One of Israel.
23 I will shout and sing your praises for all you are to me—
    Savior, lover of my soul!
24 I’ll never stop telling others how perfect you are,
    while all those who seek my harm slink away ashamed and defeated!

These words encourage me to remember what I learned growing up and put it into practice. They encourage me to lean into God and allow Him to bless me through the 'good' days and the 'tough' days. I will praise Him no matter what the day ahead brings. Woo hoo! David's prayer is a very personal one he wrote to his friend, God. It shows how David lived for God. He did not just turn to God when he needed Him but lived with God as his companion throughout his days. He did not just know of God but had a personal relationship with Him. That is the desire of my heart. I don't want to just read about His love but I want to experience His love. I also desire for others to experience His love. David gives hope in 'tough' days. He gives me the incentive to do as my earthly Daddy taught me and see the glass half full. He encourages me to have faith no matter what happens in life and to lean into God. I'm reminded of a scene in the movie Forrest Gump where Forrest and Bubba are in Vietnam. It was a night scene with the rain pouring. I love that I can picture this since it was filmed at Hunting Island. Bubba said to Forrest, "I'm gonna lean up against you, you just lean right back against me. This way we don't have to sleep with our heads in the mud. You know why we're a good partnership, Forrest? Cause we be watching out for one another, like brothers and stuff." We all have people we lean into to get through life but God is the One we need to lean into at all time. He desires to support us through every aspect of life. He uses others to support us as we need. I am so thankful for all of the people who continue to encourage me since Doc's passing. God did not make any of us to be alone in life. He made us to be here for one another.cDear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead in this day! Thank You for class last night and especially for putting me with Pastor James and Pastor Roland for small group! Thank You for Marion going to therapy without too much trouble! Thank You for encouraging me and being with me as I went to a sit-down restaurant for my first time since Doc passed! Thank You for Rickey being in my life to encourage me through such times! Lord, cleanse me so You can fill me with more of You. May You be seen/heard instead of me throughout today. Lord, I am overwhelmed with answers to prayers with two I have been praying for receiving the news of NO CANCER! Woo hoo! Thank You Jesus! I continue to pray for so many going through 'tough' days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Mary Lilley; Melanie; Little Ivy's family; Gay and Doug; Chrissy; Debbie Dennis recuperating from back surgery; and so many others. I pray for my friend Serena to feel your loving arms wrapped around her today. I pray for my friends Kathy, Patty, Wanda, Joni, and Peggy to feel Your love for them as they go through some 'tough' times with many of their family. Lord, be greater than the hurts of life. Thank You for being The One I Lean Into! Amen.

No comments: