Thursday, July 1, 2021

Matthew 16:23 - "Help Is On The Way"

Last night in Bible study we discussed Matthew 16. Verse twenty-three holds a lot of meaning when you dig into it. I'm sure Jesus was disappointed in Peter's actions and words just as I'm sure He is disappointed in us from time to time. When we choose the ways of man over God's ways, we are giving the enemy an open door. Life can be hard. Life is hard. But we are not alone. God is always right here with us. He is always ready to give us exactly what we need so we do not have to give into the enemy. God woke me to these words of Toby Mac's song "Help Is On The Way" this morning...

It may be midnight or mid-day
He's never early, never late
He will stand by what He claimed
I lived enough life to say... (Say, say, say)
Help is on the way
Roundin' the corner
Help is on the way
Comin' for ya
Help is on the way
Yea-ee-ayy
I lived enough life to say...
Help is on the way

Praise His Holy Name for the knowledge that I am not alone in the battles of life. This week has been challenging with many obstacles coming before me. There were times when I felt like I could not handle one more thing but then God reminded me I am not alone. He reminded me the enemy wants to tear me down because he does not like what I am doing. As we were discussing Matthew 16 last night, I was reminded when we do not have our focus on God it gives the enemy an open door. Peter was thinking and acting in the human sense instead of the spiritual sense. When we do this, we do not make the best decisions nor do we say or do what God desires of us. God help us. Wesley gives us four things to learn from this verse:

1. That whosoever says to us in such a case, Favour thyself, is acting the part of the devil: 2. That the proper answer to such an adviser is, Get thee behind me: 3. That otherwise he will be an offence to us, an occasion of our stumbling, if not falling: 4. That this advice always proceeds from the not relishing the things of God, but the things of men. Yea, so far is this advice, favour thyself, from being fit for a Christian either to give or take, that if any man will come after Christ, his very first step is to deny, or renounce himself: in the room of his own will, to substitute the will of God, as his one principle of action.

It is imperative for all believers to die to themselves and live with Christ as the head of our lives. We cannot live as He desires when we continue to live with one foot in the world and the other for Him. He desires all of us and is here to support us. If I were not strong in my faith, I may have done some stupid things this week as I dealt with one 'tough' thing after another. I am thankful I not only hear God but I have the desire to walk in obedience to Him. Sometimes that means being disappointed for a moment such as the other night when He directed me to not do my class. I wanted to so bad but I also knew I was in no shape to participate. His direction to stop was exactly what I needed to do. 

Dear Jesus, Thank You for another day of life ahead! Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones You will put into my life today! Thank You for cleansing me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You! May You ooze out of my words, actions, thoughts, and attitude today in a new, different way. Lord, I am expecting some big things today and I am ready to praise You through them. I pray for safe travels for Rickey as he comes to visit. Thank You for putting him in my life! I also pray for my Momma with the rehab she is starting. Thank You for using this surgery to rid her of pain! I pray for Debbie who had back surgery yesterday to realize Your strength in a mighty way as she recuperates. I also pray for Your strength for many going through 'tough' days. My sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben; Ben and Colleen; my high school friend Jack as he recuperates; another high school friend going through medical testing; four friends with career issues/changes; Alison; Carrie and Chris and their family; Little Ivy's family; Cait; Melanie; Pastor Scott with his mother's health; and so many others. Lord, be so real to all of us and be greater than the hurts of life. Father, when the enemy tries to tear us down I pray for strength in our spirits. When life gets hard, may we all dig deeper into our faith and allow You to shine brightly through us. Thank You Jesus for being My Help! Amen.

No comments: