Tuesday, July 13, 2021

James 4:17 - "Less Like Me"


Sometimes my heart feels like it is breaking into pieces as I see people so unhappy with life. I want to take them into my arms and love on them with Jesus' love. It really hurts when I see believers in such a state. It just does not make sense to me how people who are in relationship with the Lord can be so unhappy day after day. We all have 'bad' days but goodness there has to be some 'good' days in life too. I think one of the things that make me cringe the most is knowing people are watching our every move to see how we live. If we proclaim to be a believer and are crabby all the time, what message are we giving the world? Are we sinning in our crabbiness? Do we pull people away from God instead of drawing them to Him by the way we live? Do people see us and think 'if that is how a Christian is, I don't want to be one'? Does our attitude show God's love? I was thinking this morning about how people classify sins. If it is a sin in their life, they see it as a small one but if it is in someone else's life then it huge. I was always taught 'a sin is a sin is a sin.' In other words, one is not any worse than another. I was reading in James 4 this morning about how even things we know we should do and don't are sins. Matthew Henry writes: 

Omissions are sins which will be brought into judgment, as well as commissions. He that does not the good he knows should be done, as well as he who does the evil he knows should not be done, will be condemned. Oh that we were as careful not to omit prayer, and not to neglect to meditate and examine our consciences, as we are not to commit gross outward vices against light!

I do not want to miss anything God has for me nor do I want to turn anyone away from God. I also do not want anything to separate me from God. That is why I ask God every morning to cleanse me so He can fill me. I desire more of Him and less of me. The words to a song Zach Williams sings called "Less Like Me" are going through my mind. I pray He empowers me to be more like Him!

Oh, I have days I lose the fight
Try my best but just don't get it right
Where I talk a talk that I don't walk
And miss the moments right before my eyes

Somebody with a hurt that I could have helped
Somebody with a hand that I could have held
When I just can't see past myself
Lord, help me be

A little more like mercy, a little more like grace
A little more like kindness, goodness, love, and faith
A little more like patience, a little more like peace
A little more like Jesus, a little less like me

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the opportunities You put before me yesterday to love with Your love and for the ones ahead in this day! I pray Marion will go to therapy without problems and that You will ooze out of me throughout this day. Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You instead of me. May they know who You are in my life. Father, I pray You will keep a smile on my face and joy in my heart throughout the day no matter what I face. Empower me to stay focused on You when crabbiness tries to creep in. I pray for those who are unhappy to realize You in a more meaningful way. I pray for those who are struggling with life to allow You to be the change they need. Thank You for giving me opportunities to be Your servant! I'm sorry for the times I fall short on what You desire of me. When the enemy tries to get me down through others words/actions, may my focus to be totally on You. Lord, my heart is heavy for so many going through tough days. I pray for a young girl who is struggling with life and a young man who is struggling with addiction. I pray for their families to have Your wisdom and clarity. I also pray for those going through tough days. My Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; Ben and Colleen; Little Ivy's family; Chrissy; Melanie; Mary Lilley; Mike; my school friend Jack and Debbie Dennis recuperating from surgery; Brent as he continues to heal from his accident; Serenna; and so many others. Father, be greater than the hurts of life. Empower us all to live in Your joy and love. Praise Your Holy Name for Elaine's praise yesterday with her son! May You continue to heal him. Thank You for the encouragement You give me through Rickey! What a blessing he is in my life! Thank You for being My Joy Maker! Amen.

No comments: