Thursday, December 1, 2016

Matthew 1:18-25 - "A Strange Way To Save The World"


December 1...how is that even possible? It sure doesn't feel like it with having high 70's for temps these last few days. But I do need to remind myself I do live in South Carolina now. I've been reading where my Ohio friends and family are having warmer than normal temps. I am thankful my body no longer has to deal with the huge swings in temperatures as in Ohio. As I reflect on past December 1, it was my 'original' due date to have Paul. I believe it is the first time in the last twenty seven years to not be a 'hunting widow' this week. Last night I talked with the boys at church about the significance of December 1. How when we turn the calendar over to December we start getting excited to celebrate Jesus' birth. As I thought about that, I thought about all of the craziness that comes with this time of year. The money that is spent, the calendar that is crammed full, the emotions that go crazy, etc. Peace is so needed in people's lives. True Peace. The kind of peace that comes only from being in intimate relationship with God where one can hear His voice. Too many times distractions make it be that we can't hear Him. Many times those distractions come from the enemy because he does not like the headway we are making for the Kingdom. We must be intentional in living in His Presence, especially this time of year. Sometimes that means letting go of traditions such as making 25 dozen cookies to share. Sometimes that means not going to every event that we desire to go to. Sometimes that means snuggling up with a cup of hot chocolate and reading His Word instead of watching another Christmas movie. Sometimes that means looking around and finding people who have no one to love on them and opening our home for a meal and time of fellowship. This morning I woke up after only four hours of sleep feeling crabby. My head hurts and I just want to sleep yet I can't. I asked God if there was someone to pray for and He said, "many." So I waited for Him to tell me who but nothing else came. After a half hour I got up and turned on my computer and found out who...

  • a man in ER with intense pain
  • a little guy who continues to be tested for possible leukemia
  • words for one who is going through something tough in life..."The mountain ahead is a mole hill to your Heavenly Father"
  • words for one who asked for pray as she seeks God's will..."Prayers for you to not be so distracted that you miss His voice"
  • words for one who is dealing with ill health in a loved one who she is responsible for..."praying for discernment"
  • a teen with diabetes who her parents almost lost last week
  • a daddy getting ready to go back to work after being home for the birth of their baby girl
  • a daddy who is anxious to come home to his family after being deployed
  • a daddy who just left on deployment and his family as he is away
  • a man with intense hip pain
  • a woman who had a lumpectomy yesterday...oh how I pray pathology reports will be clean
  • the one distraught over her church situation
  • one making a major decision
Then He brought to my mind "A Strange Way To Save The World" and I thought 'well now God, what does this have to do with anything?' He told me, "I will use you, Daughter, in ways you may not like or understand but as long as You have a willing spirit You will be blessed mightily." Wow! In this song it explains how He used Joseph in being Jesus' earthly father. If Joseph would have had a choice, his son would not have born in a stable with the animals. He probably wouldn't have chose to have a pregnant woman for his betrothed. But Joseph had a willing spirit. Not only did he have a willing spirit but he also was not distracted by all that was happening so he was able to hear His voice. If Joseph would not have been willing to do things he didn't like or wanted to do, life would be so different today. In the first chapter of Matthew it reads:


18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit. 19 And her husband Joseph, being a just man and unwilling to put her to shame, resolved to divorce her quietly. 20 But as he considered these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not fear to take Mary as your wife, for that which is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21 She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.” 22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet:
   23 “Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son,
    and they shall call his name Immanuel”
(which means, God with us). 24 When Joseph woke from sleep, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded him: he took his wife, 25 but knew her not until she had given birth to a son. And he called his name Jesus.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for giving me a heart to serve You. Thank You for all the ways You used me yesterday to share Your love with others. I pray for the opportunities that are ahead today to do just that. I also pray against distractions that will not allow me to hear You. Father, today the appointment with the oncologist is on my mind. But once again I am so thankful for the way You go before me and already know the outcome. Bless all of my medical providers with wisdom. Most of all I pray they will see You in me. Just as I prayed yesterday...fill me to overflowing with Yourself and may You see Your reflection when You see me. Thank You for being My Reflection! Amen.

No comments: