Monday, December 26, 2016

I Timothy 6:11-12 - "Be Like You"


How is it even possible my 'baby' is thirty-two years old? Where has the time gone? Wasn't it just yesterday we were fussing with him to 'just eat one green bean'? Now he is a godly man, the proud Daddy of four great kids and a wonderful wife. I think of the charge Paul gave to Timothy in I Timothy 6:11-12 when I think of Ben...

But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness,faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confessionin the presence of many witnesses. 

Previously in this chapter Paul had written about how Timothy had taken his calling and lived it out. Ben is doing just that. I am so proud of the way he is using his calling to be Jesus in this hurting world. He has found a way to share God's love outside of the confines of the church. I love how one commentator writes about a person who lives this way. "He that is godly, is sure to be happy in another world; and if contented with his condition in this world, he has enough, and all truly godly people are content." Content with being where God puts us is key. Ben has found that key and for that I am grateful. As I think back on his growing up years I am reminded of how proud he was to come home with a box of groceries from helping his Grandma at the free store. He would pull out a couple of boxes of cereal with a big smile on his face. He knew he was providing for our family in a way that was so needed. I smiled because I knew he was learning values that would be so beneficial to him in life. The values instilled in him growing up are ones he will never forget. He is instilling those same values in his own children. I was one proud Momma as my Momma shared with me on how well behaved his children were at her house. I told her it wasn't just because they were there, that's how they are being raised. My Daddy would be so proud of Ben and the man he has grown to be. I wish he were here to see him and his family. Oh how I miss my Daddy being here with us. I also miss our time with Ben and his family and am looking forward to when we can get together again. This will be one of the few years I won't be making him a cheesecake for his birthday. I remember the year I spent ALOT of money and bought him a 'real' cheesecake only to be disappointed to hear "I don't like it...I like my regular one!" Silly boy! Who would prefer an Aldi cheap box mix to a real baked one?!?!? Yep, that would be Ben! 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for blessing us with Ben! Thank You for the godly man You have grown him into being! Father, I pray blessings on him and his family today. I pray they will be blessed in abundance with more of You in their lives. I also pray for a soothing in this Momma's heart to be separated from them. Lord, I know I am exactly where You desire me to be but it is days like today that are so hard. Fill my spiritual tank to overflowing so my hurts will not be a distraction from doing what You desire of me. Thank You Jesus for being The One to Bless Me. Amen.

No comments: