Monday, December 19, 2016

James 2:1-13 - "When Love Was Born"

It is interesting to read James 2 after hearing Doc's sermon yesterday on love. In this chapter James writes about the commandment Love your neighbor as yourself to describe how we are to treat one another. This law for all people of faith is the law of love that was taught in the Old Testament and given by Jesus in the New Testament. James writes about favoritism violating this law in chapter two. As one lives out this law, they need to love all people regardless of their race, appearance, wealth, etc. We all have people who seem to not fit in wherever we go yet we are to love them as Jesus loved them. We are not to show favoritism to anyone but instead love all. So many times I have heard horror stories of people in leadership in churches who have hurt others by showing favoritism or having their own little cliche. That does not show the love of the Lord. Therefore, James writes when one shows favoritism they are breaking His law. He also writes about how when one breaks one law they are breaking the whole law (vs 10). I was reading a commentary on this that said:


The point of emphasizing the whole law is that the whole law is to be kept. The status of the royal law, then, is that it is indispensable. If we are believers in Christ (that is, "ones who have faith in Christ," as stated in 2:1), then we must follow the teachings of Christ. We must bring our relationships under the lordship of Christ. That is why, in 2:8-11, James elaborates with repetition on the fact that favoritism makes one a lawbreaker. The message is, Don't think you are keeping the law of Christ while you are practicing favoritism. It is as much a contradiction as if you claimed you were keeping the law just because you were not committing adultery even though you were practicing murder. James's language is stark and emphatic in 2:9: If you show favoritism, you sin.
Last night was so neat bringing our worlds together for our Christmas Open House. When Mom asked how many were coming, I told her it could be ten or it could be fifty. I had no idea. We were pleased to have thirty-five come from the church, our neighborhood and other friends we have met since moving here. It was rewarding to watch people get to know one another. It was really cool to see neighbors who didn't really know each other converse for extended periods of time. 

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for the strength You gave us yesterday to not only 'get through' the day with Sunday School, Worship, a memorial service and then our Open House but to enjoy the day. Father, Your strength was perfect! Your love was in abundance throughout the day and I pray it flowed out of us to all we came in contact with. Lord, today is a new day. It is a day where I need filled with with Your supernatural strength as I am so tired. I can't 'do' this day without Your empowerment. I wish I could just crawl back into bed but I know I can't do that. I do not want my tiredness to cause me to miss an opportunity to be You to others who I come into contact with today. Please keep me focused on You. I pray You will be my attitude, my words and my actions throughout this day. Thank You Jesus for being My Everything. Amen.


No comments: