Saturday, December 31, 2016

James 1:2-4 - "Move"


I know when we are away all day Mordecei will get me up to go out in the middle of the night. When he got me up at 3:15, I was so tired but instead of going back to sleep I started thinking about how our life started to change so drastically a year ago. It was New Year's Eve when Doc told me God had released him from Willard. He asked me to pray about where we were to go. I told him I would but for the first few weeks I didn't because I couldn't believe it. I thought God couldn't have told him that. But as days went on he kept asking me if God had told me anything about it yet. I didn't lie when I told him no. But neither did I tell him I actually had not prayed about it. Once I started praying about it I think God knew I needed some time before He did speak. I will never forget a day in January as I was up in the Christmas closet putting away some things that had been missed and I heard the Lord. I actually turned around to see if someone was in the room with me because it was an audible voice. I was talking to Him and asked if I would be putting away Christmas stuff from this year away in another home. Very clearly I heard, "You will be in South Carolina." What?!?!? I didn't tell Doc that for a few weeks because I thought he would think I was crazy. I don't even know if a resume had been sent to South Carolina at that point or not. We took a vacation to Hilton Head in February to celebrate my healing. While we were traveling down we stopped and had lunch with the DS. He said he didn't have anything open but he had just found out about a church that was going to come open in February. He explained they couldn't pay a pastor so unless we were independently wealthy it wouldn't work. He suggested since we were going to Hilton Head we should spend an afternoon looking around the city. We did just that and felt at peace as we sat by the waterfront. But we knew financially, as the DS said, it would take a miracle for us to come. March brought about another meeting with the DS when he was visiting family in Ohio. He had a smile on his face and said, "I think we found our miracle!" The church would be able to pay some so the pastor would only need to work part-time. We were excited because the more we prayed, the more we knew we were to be here. I was torn from being excited when I knew it would be so hard to leave not only my biological family but also my church family from the last fifteen years. They had been with us through so many things. Both of us had surgeries, my MS exacerbations, death of my Daddy, the boys weddings, births of our grandchildren, etc. We also had just burned the mortgage on the church building and were looking forward to having finances to do ministry. But the whole time of this emotional roller coaster the Lord gave me peace. It was so hard not be able to talk to anyone about how I was feeling. I would pack boxes and cry. I would be planning church events that I knew I wasn't even going to be there for yet I couldn't say anything. Life was tough emotionally but I knew God was in control. If we didn't walk through the door He put before us, we would not be walking in His will. We could not allow our emotions, people's words once we told them we were leaving or anything stop us. Instead we knew we must continue on His path. He continued to open doors for finances with providing us the down payment for our home, the sale of a lot of items, etc. He also continued to give physical strength on days that were so hard. I will never forget the miracle He performed in me driving our truck pulling our trailer to move. His strength was my strength in a mighty way. The first few months in South Carolina were busy with not only our home but also adjusting to a new church, a new city and being away from what we knew as our normal for the last fifteen years. Six plus months later in looking back over those months I am amazed at what all has happened and what hasn't happened. The four surgeries and a diagnosis of breast cancer have been ones I never expected to go through. Yet God is my strength and my peace. Doc still not having a part-time job is another thing I never expected yet God continues to provide. Not going home to see family over the holidays was not what I imagined yet God was so gracious in loving me through some tough days. Still not having our own church building continues to be challenging yet I know God is working in all of us. There were a lot of 'last' events that happened in Ohio before leaving that were very difficult. Here in South Carolina there have been a lot of 'first' events. Some have been fun and enjoyable while others were difficult. The greatest thing about both the 'lasts' and the 'firsts' is that God was the director of all of them. He was the One who orchestrated every one of them. I am so grateful for that! I continue to stand on His empowerment through the 'good' days and the 'tough' days. I will never forget one day in particular as I was struggling with the whole move thing and He encouraged me through a dear sister in Christ. The Lord spoke to her one morning in February before we even knew where we were moving to. He told her to tell me:

My fellow Comrad, We are in a Battle but we know who the Champion is. In prayer this a.m. I heard this while praying for you and Pastor Doc-God is giving you Marching Orders. Full speed ahead. Onward Christian Soldier. Blessings. We are in this together. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. Love ya!

Immediately when I read those words the Lord gave me the song "Move" by Mercy Me. There is a part of it that goes...


There's gonna be brighter days...
I just might bend but I won't break
As long as I can see your face

Wow! He knew I needed to be encouraged to keep walking down the path He was giving us. He knew there would be days where I felt like I couldn't go on but He also knew I would be filled with His strength if I continued to live in His Spirit. He is so good! Once again I am reminded of James 1:2-4 and am grateful for His words. I am grateful for the way He has shown me that change is OK when He orchestrates it. I also am grateful for the way He has opened doors to new ministries and relationships in my new little world. If I were not living a life consecrated to Him, I would be missing so much.

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for this past year and for the year that is ahead. Thank You for loving me through not only the 'good' days but also the 'tough' ones. Thank You for filling me to overflowing so people will see and hear You through me today. Lord, You are so awesome in the way You take care of things. I continue to be amazed with so many things but I shouldn't because You do amazing things! Thank You for being My Orchestrator! Amen.


No comments: