Monday, December 12, 2016

Nehemiah 8:10b - "Joy"


Last night before going to bed I became a little emotional, which happens when I am tired. I told Doc I was scared of the week ahead. There were too many things on the calendar. Some have to be done such as radiation treatments and an MRI. Others needed to be done in order to prepare for events and others were things I want to do but may need to cut. This morning when I woke up early I started thinking about the week and ended up getting up frustrated. As I opened my laptop the Lord told me to read Nehemiah 8 again. I wasn't sure why but I did. As I was reading, I pondered once again on Nehemiah 8:10b. I thought of Doc's sermon yesterday on joy. As he told Chic Shaver's 'House' analogy I thought about the time in between accepting the Lord and then giving Him the key to the last 'room' of my life. I remember the joy I experienced during that time but then I also remember the True Joy I experienced once I gave Him everything. I like how Matthew Henry describes that joy. "Let it not be a carnal sensual joy, but holy and spiritual, the joy of the Lord, joy in the goodness of God, under the direction and government of the grace of God, joy arising from our interest in the love and favour of God and the tokens of his favour." Henry continues talking about how the more cheerful we are, the more His strength in us will grow. Woo hoo! That makes me happy! I cannot allow this week ahead to pull me down. The Lord will enable me to do exactly what He desires of me. He will be my strength to accomplish whatever He desires. Another thing Henry writes about this verse is, "The joy of the Lord will arm us against the assaults of our spiritual enemies, and put our mouths out of taste for those pleasures with which the tempter baits his hooks." Wow! That is so very true. When I lament over the calendar, it gives the enemy an open door. Grumbling is not from the Lord. Therefore, I do not need to practice it. Instead I need to be reminded that "The joy of the Lord is my strength" to do whatever He desires. There is empowerment in this way of thinking! He will guide me throughout this week! He will direct me on what to do and what to cut from the calendar! He will love me in such a way that I will be His words and His actions throughout the week! He will strengthen me so my attitude will be pure! Oh my goodness am I blessed this morning! I know I have no worries about the days ahead! Wow God!

Dear Jesus,
Thank You for yesterday...the ones who are seeking sanctification...the strength You gave me throughout the day...the board and spouses Christmas dinner...the whole day was so awesome from start to finish! Thank You for the day ahead! Father, wherever You lead I pray You will enable me to be You to others through my words, actions and attitude! Thank You for the week ahead where I know You will shine brightly through me! Lord, this morning I pray for those going through tough times to seek You. I pray for Your empowerment to be in them just as it is in me. Thank You Jesus for being My Strength! Amen.

No comments: