Monday, January 30, 2023

Psalm 46:10a - "Peace Be Still"


Yesterday's sermon was centered on the story of Bartimaeus who was healed from blindness. He realized Jesus could heal him and asked for that healing. He did not put off asking but realized the opportunity was there in front of him for that moment. Sometimes life throws you a curve ball. When that happens, there are choices to make. Do you fall apart or lean into God for His strength to get you through? Do you allow people/circumstances to tear you down or do you allow God to lift you up? Do you worry and fret over the 'what ifs' of life or do you trust God to show you the direction need taken? Bartimaeus showed great faith in his situation. He did not allow fear to take over but instead trusted God. These words were written in yesterday's sermon. I'm not sure if they were said or not but I hope they were. Faith is God asking us to do something greater than we’ve ever done, and He’s asking us to depend on Him in the process. And because this can be a bit scary, we fall back on our fears and maintain the status quo. Therefore by faith we’re to face our fears. When life seems to be falling apart, God doesn't leave us but instead is right there with us to not only get us through such times but to see us glorify Him in the process. In the midst of the storm we read about in Matthew 14 Jesus asked Peter to come to Him on the water. Peter started to him and all was good until Peter took his focus off Jesus. He was worried over the storm and instead of allowing Jesus to be his focus he allowed the storm to take over. That is exactly what happens in life when we allow the 'storms' of life to be our focus. Worry sets in. Peace is at a distance. The beginning words of Psalm 46:10 are ones we need to embrace not just in the 'storms' of life but at all time. The more we do, the more we receive His peace. I like a quote by Tony Evans."Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday. Focusing on living for God’s kingdom today is the antidote to worry." Praise His Holy Name for this knowledge! I am reminded this morning of a song Hope Darst sings called "Peace Be Still"....

Peace be still
Say the word and I will
Set my feet upon the sea
Till I'm dancing in the deep
Peace be still
You are here so it is well
Even when my eyes can't see
I will trust the voice that speaks


Dear Jesus, Thank You for an awesome service yesterday! Thank You for the way You confirmed my prayers with Clay's prayer! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts. I pray for wisdom as I go to my neurologist appointment and for clarity in my thinking. I pray for all who are going through 'storms' of life to experience Your peace. Andy and his family with Katelyn's situation; Kaye and her family; Rachael; my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; Ashley Foor; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; Susan; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam and Darryle and his family. I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for being My Peace! Amen.

No comments: