Thursday, January 12, 2023

Matthew 6:21; Philippians 4:12 - "My Jesus"

Yesterday was another gorgeous day. Even though I've been living here for over six years it still amazes me to have such weather in January. I remember the first time I left Ohio and traveled to Florida in February. I was amazed I was walking on the beach when we left a snow storm in Ohio. Yesterday as I looked out over the water at lunchtime I commented it seemed like what used to be a vacation day. Yet here I live here in this little piece of paradise. As I sat in the beautiful sunshine looking out over the water I felt so blessed and grateful. After lunch thrift store shopping was on the agenda and was so much fun. I love to look for treasures that other people have thrown away. No major finds yesterday but I did take a picture of something I want to make with oyster shells. Last night in Adult Bible Study I shared God brought Matthew 6:19 to me this week as I was preparing the lesson. Earthly things are not as important as heavenly things. Spending money on 'stuff' is not as meaningful as spending money on things that will make a difference in someone's life. I thought of this as I bought things for Samaritan's Purse shoeboxes yesterday in one of the thrift stores. I personally don't need anything but am always looking for bargains for shoeboxes, children's ministries, etc. That doesn't mean I don't buy things for myself. I have no guilt for picking up a pretty piece of glassware or a sturdy basket to use myself. God likes to bless us with such things. At the end of the day before buying something we need to ask ourselves if we truly 'need' it or is it just a 'want' and if it isn't a need, how bad do we want it. I saw a couple things yesterday I 'wanted' yet didn't buy and was content with those decisions. Contentment comes with living a lifestyle with heaven as the end result. I am reminded this morning of Paul's words in Philippians 4:12. It reads in the NIV: I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. Praise His Holy Name! No matter what circumstances we find ourselves in God is with us. Last night in Bible study we were talking about how some people say they don't need God. Andy mentioned that even when people say such things God is still there. He never leaves us. This is a wonderful thought to have when we go through 'tough' days and feel alone. Our last question to ponder from last night's study was to think about how we can make a difference in people's lives to counteract the ways of the world. Sharing our story is a perfect way to encourage others to allow God into their lives. This morning I am reminded of a song I heard Anne Wilson sing in concert last spring called "My Jesus"...

Are you past the point of weary?
Is your burden weighin' heavy?
Is it all too much to carry?
Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus
Do you feel that empty feeling?
'Cause shame's done all its stealin'
And you're desperate for some healin'
Let me tell you 'bout my Jesus

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the blessings of yesterday and the ones ahead today! Thank You for this gorgeous weather and for the beautiful piece of paradise I live! Thank You for the words of affirmation spoken over me through someone in the community sharing about 'that woman pastor' with one of my people! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May people see/hear You through my words, actions, attitude, and thoughts today. I pray for our waiter yesterday who shared a prayer request with us when asked and then asked how he could pray for us. Wow, God! That was a first to experience and so cool. I continue to pray for many going through 'tough' days. Andy and his family with Katelyn's health; those who recently lost loved ones: Dave; Rachael; Susan; Sonia; and Laureen; my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; Ashley Foor; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; Serena and her husband; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam; Darryle and his family; and Janis' mother, I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for being My Treasure! Amen.

No comments: