Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Exodus 14:14 - "Still"



The saying 'you can take the girl out of the country but you can't take th country out of the girl' is also applicable to a pastor. It does not matter where I am the pastor part of me is there. Yesterday was a prime example of this. I found myself in the ICU waiting room hearing someone crying and went to them. I asked if I could pray with them and her answer was, 'Yes, please!' I prayed and then talked with her for a bit. She poured her story out to me and we talked. I asked if she had someone to be with her and she said her daughter was on her way. After sitting and talking for a bit the Chaplain came. She explained I was with another family but had heard/saw her crying and prayed with her. He was appreciated of me. As I walked away from them I thanked God for the privilege to be there at that moment. I thanked Him for the privilege to be here for Andy, Debbie, and their family and asked Him to continue to use me however He desired. ICU is a tough place to spend time. I remember when I was a hospital chaplain I soon realized I had to keep my focus on God and not allow the enemy to distract me with being tired or worried. God is in control no matter what the circumstances we find ourselves in as we allow Him. He is there to encourage us, love on us, direct us, provide us His strength, etc. The key is we must allow Him. I am reminded this morning of Exodus 14:14 that tells us He is there for us and we just need to be still before Him. He cannot work in and through us if we are busy figuring things out on our own. He cannot direct us if we are too busy thinking about what we think is best. We cannot hear Him or walk in obedience to Him if we are speaking too much ourselves. Being still before God is a must in the busyness of life if we truly desire to walk with Him. Hilary Scott sings a song called "Still" that says it all...

You're parting waters
Making a way for me
You're moving mountains that I don't even see
You've answered my prayer before I even speak
All You need for me to be is still

Yes! He does wonderful things in our life as we wait on Him. We cannot manipulate things to be the way we desire but instead must rest in Him. We must realize it takes going through the difficult times in life to grow our faith. If life were perfect, we would not need God. Sometimes it takes hitting bottom to realize just how much we do need Him.

Dear Jesus, Thank You for the privilege to be here with Andy, Debbie, and their family! Thank You for the privilege to pray with 'Melinda' who I didn't even know! Thank You for using me however You so desire! Cleanse me so You can fill me to overflowing with more of You. May You continue to be with many going through difficult days. Andy and his family with Katelyn's situation; Kaye and her family; Rachael; my Momma; my sisters Linda, Sally, and Mary; my brother Richard; Ben and Colleen; Pete and Delores; Steve; Cait; Rhonda; Mike; Norma Hall; Sharon Sebolt and her parents; some young ladies with anxiety; a young man out of rehab who needs strength in his daily walk; Mary Lilley; a husband/father separated from his wife; Brooklyn; Kristen Batten; Amber; Ashley Foor; families in turmoil; Gay and Doug; Sherry; and many others. I also pray healing prayers over many who are dealing with 'c' and/or going through treatments...Katelyn; Chrissy's cousin; Shirley Jones; Cait's friend with leukemia; my pastor friend with daily chemo; Little Ivy; Little Judson; Little Roselynn; a young girl in our community; a lady whose breast cancer has returned; a lady diagnosed with stage two breast cancer; a lady diagnosed with throat cancer; Sue Danhoff's husband Harv; Michele with breast cancer; Susan; and a dear friend awaiting an oncologist appointment. I pray for: the Long Family, Becky, Russ, a couple contemplating divorce and another couple having serious issues. Thank You for continued healing for: Pastor Tommy and Pam; Darryle and his family; and Janis' mother, I praise You for continued reconciliation for a father and his prodigal daughter. I pray for Melinda and Todd with all they are going through. Thank You for being My Stillness! Amen.

No comments: